Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Matchstick Equation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#41 Snowman

Snowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:11 AM

I think there's really only one possible answer: that is, remove any one of the ones and place it at a diagonal over the equal sign, creating an 'inequal' sign (22/7 is not equal to 2, or 23/7 is not equal to 1, etc.).

#42 dreamzMaster

dreamzMaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:03 AM

Matchstick Equation
Move one matchstick to get the correct equation.

It can be the solution also..... :D

Spoiler for Solution

Edited by dreamzMaster, 07 March 2008 - 07:05 AM.

#43 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:46 PM

no, not as per the edit posted long time ago which mentioned: "Edit: the answer is correct only to 2 decimal digits (since equals sign has to be kept)."

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#44 lulu1221

lulu1221

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:27 AM

'Snowman' Mar 5 2008, 10:11 PM'

I think there's really only one possible answer: that is, remove any one of the ones and place it at a diagonal over the equal sign, creating an 'inequal' sign (22/7 is not equal to 2, or 23/7 is not equal to 1, etc.).

THAT'S WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE!!! OF COURSE THAT WOULD REQUIRE NO THINKING WHATSOEVER WHICH PROBABLY DEFIES THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE TEASER...BUT HEY IT WORKS. :rolleyes:

Edited by lulu1221, 26 March 2008 - 12:28 AM.

#45 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

no, not as per the edit posted long time ago which mentioned: "Edit: the answer is correct only to 2 decimal digits (since equals sign has to be kept)."

well it is still there but something is added, Kept in it original state and meaning or these equals may not be moved reformed or added to other than too mean equals or use other ways to depict equals that are not moveable such as a normal drawn by pen equal sign, though that would somwhat spoil the appearance.

therefore i think they have answered within the perameters including decimal points too.

#46 scuttill

scuttill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

Spoiler for I'm sure this was already solved, but I wanted to solve it without looking

#47 scuttill

scuttill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:05 PM

'Snowman' Mar 5 2008, 10:11 PM'

THAT'S WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE!!! OF COURSE THAT WOULD REQUIRE NO THINKING WHATSOEVER WHICH PROBABLY DEFIES THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE TEASER...BUT HEY IT WORKS. :rolleyes:

Scratch my answer. I like this one better. It solves all exact mathematical laws.

#48 Blatz

Blatz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:24 PM

With liberties:
X_X_III
________= II
V___II

X_X_III
________= II
V___III

#49 brainwwings

brainwwings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:43 AM

Take any "1", place it diagnally across equals sign!!!
i.e., 22 divided by 7 is =/ not equal to 3.

:lol:

So much for being a comedian! - Now back to studying & coming up with a serious solution!

#50 rdmsacto

rdmsacto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

To be anal, I must point out that this only works to two digits of Pi. As soon as you hit 3 digits, the answer is wrong.

22 / 7 ~=

Pi ~=

[b]
You're not being anal, it's what kept me from doing it. This' more a joke then a puzzel. Haha...my turn to buy, "cupla
Heine 's bar tender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users