Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Matchstick Equation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#21 pocho

pocho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

XXlll/Vll different to l

I couldn't find the simbol Different to, so I just took one match from the result and put it diagonal on the =. The result is a truth.

#22 johnseb

johnseb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:27 PM

#23 Wega

Wega

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

Yes, but you have to move two matchsticks.

#24 nombre

nombre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:05 AM

simply take one matchstick from the bottom # making it six and move it to the top making that # 24 then 24 / 6= 2

fourth grade was not kind to you

#25 everett1975

everett1975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:50 PM

I got it...how about XXXI = XXXXI! I know I moved a whole bunch of matchsticks...but 31 does equal 41...if you round the right side down by 10! I love this kind of brain teaser...give me more! I am going to use pi = 22/7 or something close to that in all my calculations from now on!

#26 Wega

Wega

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:35 PM

What about XXI + I / VI = II

What's wrong with that solution?

#27 MMcGuire11

MMcGuire11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:34 AM

XXIII/III > II. Solved.

#28 bztian

bztian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:09 PM

It has more than one answer, however the one posted, I would declare incorrect (though cute), compared with these answers: xxiii/vii > ii <--- OR ---> xxii/vii != ii These are exactly correct answers. 23/7 does NOT equal pi even if it matches the first 2 decimal places. No math teacher in the world would give that a correct answer. I'd give half credit for the try

#29 matt.lang

matt.lang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:09 AM

I think the whole point of that was that the answer was clever. there are other ways to solve it of course, but I'd definitely say that making it equal pi (to 2 decimal places) definitely took the most thought. Of course everyone who didn't get that answer is angry and is just fuming over the fact that they aren't as clever as the person who came up with the problem.

#30 annielovesyou

annielovesyou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:25 PM

What about XXI + I / VI = II

What's wrong with that solution?

The fact that 21 + 1 / 6 does not equal 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users