Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Scales

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#31 this_guy_lucas

this_guy_lucas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:17 AM

Picture the original as a 3d image and it's already balanced.

SpikedVerga - I tried to draw this out and can't figure out how making it 3d gives you anything other than a 3d unbalanced scale. What am I missing?

#32 lambchopx12

lambchopx12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:06 AM

This can be done in 4 moves...

well i disagree with your photo because if it were to be like that the only way that that diagram would really be true is if the two weights were sat on a flat surface cause the middle suporting beam to sag. what im trying to say is that your diagram doesnt show the two weight s being the same weight

#33 Lizard450

Lizard450

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

Spoiler for the OP was right

#34 Bill47

Bill47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

The solution posted by rookie1ja is absolutely correct. Only 5 sticks were moved, NOT 6. The bottom stick of the upper (right hand) triangle remains in place and becomes the right half of the balance beam, The two sticks making the rest of the right hand triangle, plus the stick making the original right half of the balance beam move down to make the new right hand triangle, the stick making the left hand of the balance beam moves down to align with the right hand portion, the stick representing the pivot/support is moved down to line up with the new position of the balance beam. Sketch it out and you'll see that only 5 sticks have been moved.

Edited by Bill47, 28 July 2008 - 02:16 PM.

#35 BrendaBoop

BrendaBoop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:05 AM

Picture the original as a 3d image and it's already balanced.

I have to agree with this comment....but it's also easily done by moving the upper 2 pieces of the right triangle, to point downward, then move the 3 'balancing' upper pieces of the puzzle slightly lower to bring the balance-bar to a level position and the far upper one slightly down along with the other two you just moved. Theorheticaly, it would be balanced. :rolleyes:

#36 mish

mish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

the first one is right. the right triangle was not moved down, it was inverted. If you move down the "hook to the top match" on the left, it is parallel to the bottom of the triangle on the right.

#37 xris

xris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

Could someone tell me which match out of the six does not move..cos i cant see it..

#38 xris

xris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

please remember the described obtuse triangle required to solve this problem can not exist with the isosceles triangle describing the scales on the left..you have an imagined straight line that does not exist..this can not be solved..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users