Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Scales

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#11 zhongmengkai

zhongmengkai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:31 PM

In the answer given by the by the questioner he moved six not five. The only one that looks right to me is the one that has the bent bar.
.........|
....../....
..../_ /_

#12 slmo

slmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:05 AM

mrbojangles got it right. I can't get any other solution by moving 5, the 1st solution clearly moves 6

#13 silkcom

silkcom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

well in order to really balance them, you'd only need 3.

This works, because of the way the matches were originally setup. Otherwise it may take 4 (to completely move the second basket to look like the first). Technically his answer is more correct, because it's look more like it follows the laws of gravity, but hey, at least mines balanced and yes it's done in less than 4 moves.

Attached Images

• scales.gif

#14 darempf

darempf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:33 PM

First, this site is awesome.

Second, I can fix it in three matches. :-D I'm nowhere that I can post an image right now, unfortunately, but I can explain it pretty easily...
(1 & 2) In the "right" weight", grab the flat match on the bottom & the match that slopes bottom-left-to-top-right; mirror them around the 3rd side of this weight, like it's an axis of reflection. This leaves you with a weight that looks like the left triangle but upside-down.
(3) Take a hold of the fulcrum-point match (the top one); leaving the bottom end of this match nailed down, rotate the match to the left about... whatever that comes out to... 30 degrees or so.

You now have a balanced scale which you are viewing with your head tilted slightly to the right of vertical.

...I'll try to remember to post a picture later.

#15 drewheasman

drewheasman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:20 PM

The only way for the first Solution to work is for the bottom match of the right scale to not be moved and become the right part of the balance beam. If you just move all the matches on the right side downward to straighten out the balance beam then you have moved a total of 6 matches and are over the 5 matches set in the puzzle.

The second solution would only work if asked to only move one match, but I found it funny nevertheless lol.

Then move it 5 times...

#16 Kro-G

Kro-G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:06 PM

Red sticks are in motion
Is it it?

Attached Images

• wagi.JPG

#17 Kro-G

Kro-G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:07 PM

Sorry red are const. it was to fast repl.

#18 killswitch

killswitch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

whoever said the admin was wrong cuz he used 6 matches...your retarded...and thats coming from me who aint the brightest object in the kitchen

if you'd look and see, he does in fact only move 5

#19 John-Morgan

John-Morgan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:03 PM

whoever said the admin was wrong cuz he used 6 matches...your retarded...and thats coming from me who aint the brightest object in the kitchen

if you'd look and see, he does in fact only move 5

Killswitch, I agree. Well, at least with the part about the admin being correct. He did only move 5 matches.

#20 clo

clo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:28 AM

This can be done in 4 moves...
untitled.GIF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users