BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

10 answers to this question

Well diamond is the hardest known natural material hence can only be cut by another diamond. But it is only the 5th hardest known substance so it could probally be grinded down with something else to make the diamond blade or grinder. I don't know the exact process and I am probally being to technical, sorry I was a geology major for a while

:ph34r:

Well diamond is the hardest known natural material hence can only be cut by another diamond. But it is only the 5th hardest known substance so it could probally be grinded down with something else to make the diamond blade or grinder. I don't know the exact process and I am probally being to technical, sorry I was a geology major for a while
:ph34r:

You can never be too technical on this forum. What are the 4 harder substances and what is the process of making a diamond blade? You don't have to answer that, wikipedia knows all.

you can cut harder objects with softer ones with speed, but you will have to replace the softer item regularly. (example being grinding wheels, sand blasting, water jets, etc.)

I think...

it was ground or spun against another diamond, therefore the first diamond was cut along with the second diamond.

Maybe it was ground and then mud - like Starbucks coffee

Not checked but is'nt a diamond cleaved then ground by rubbing two diamonds together.

Also, I think the largest amount of diamonds are industrial, so they could have been involved in grinding/polishing.

Water has also been used to cut somethings - not in this case though!

A diamond may not be able to be cut with other things, but that doesn't mean it can't crack or shatter. Crack or shatter diamonds by smashing them with something or with another diamond. Until you create a diamond that's sharp enough to cut with, then use that to make a better cutting diamond.