Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:31 AM

largeneal has it. :)

My extreme bad for not reading back to previous page. post #7. :blush: :blush: :blush:

I have to say that the reasoning escaped subsequent posts.
largemeal correctly reasoned that at the 7th single chime you
know the time is 1:45.

[edit - the interval is thus an hour and a half]

You don't have to wait until the double chime at 2:00.

Thanks for bearing with my oversight, and congrats to largeneal! B))
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#22 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:33 AM

Haha - Bonanova - I love you, man - really, I do, because you come up with some great stuff. But goodness - I've been wondering all day how I missed that one!! Luckily I have a good therapist that helped me through the night :-P Nice puzzle ;)

#23 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

Spoiler for my guess

Spoiler for I believe my reasoning was correct

#24 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

Spoiler for I believe my reasoning was correct

I think it was your last statement that made me wonder what your answer was.
If you're saying the answer is an hour and a half, you got it. :)

One shortfall of this puzzle is that 1:30 can refer both to a clock time and to the time interval.
I probably misinterpreted what you said.

What I was looking for is the observation that the longest possible string of single chimes is 7, and they span an hour and 30 minutes.
Or words to that effect.
Some answers were posted as a stream of consciousness thought flow and I may have not followed all of them correctly.

The catch is that some would reason you'd need to hear the two o'clock chime to be sure.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#25 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

Haha - Bonanova - I love you, man - really, I do, because you come up with some great stuff. But goodness - I've been wondering all day how I missed that one!! Luckily I have a good therapist that helped me through the night :-P Nice puzzle ;)

Thanks.
Send me the therapist's bill. B))
- Bertrand Russell

#26 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

Spoiler for answer

A clock chimes the hour, every hour on the hour, and once each quarter hour in between.
If you hear it chime once, what is the longest you may have to wait to be sure what time it is?

#27 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

Spoiler for answer

Correct.
- Bertrand Russell

#28 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

Sorry I did't know that the answer was already given.I just notice and I'm not trying to look smart.It's not needed. :)

#29 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

Sorry I did't know that the answer was already given.I just notice and I'm not trying to look smart.It's not needed. :)

No apology needed... I didn't do a very good job of monitoring answers on this one.
I've had problems logging on to the site the last few days.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users