BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Cutting a rectangle

BMAD

Question

4 answers to this question

Assuming you meant a rectangular solid...

You can get a variety of polygons - triangles, quadrilaterals (including rectangles, squares and trapezoids), pentagons and hexagons.

Making a second cut can't increase the number of sides in the cross-section, so the answer is generally the same. You can increase the variety of the polygons - i.e. with 2 cuts you can get a quadrilateral or a pentagon that you cannot get with a single cut.

You can get a variety of polygons - triangles, quadrilaterals (including rectangles, squares and trapezoids), pentagons and hexagons.

Making a second cut can't increase the number of sides in the cross-section, so the answer is generally the same. You can increase the variety of the polygons - i.e. with 2 cuts you can get a quadrilateral or a pentagon that you cannot get with a single cut.

i am unsure by what you mean in your second answer.

i am unsure by what you mean in your second answer.

I interpreted your second question as "What 2-d shapes can be formed at the site of a second cut"? 

You can get all the shapes you can get from a single cut plus more variations of these shapes. For example, with a single cut you cannot get an obtuse triangle. With a second cut you can. Same goes for quadrilaterals, pentagons and hexagons.