BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

i love this one. i got this from my psychology teacher.

(this is similar to swindlecants and honestants)

people from the city of truth only tell the truth and people from the city of lies can only tell lies.

you are heading to the city of truths. you come to a fork in the road. one way leads to the city of truths and the other leads to the city of lies. at the fork stands two men. one of them if from the city of truths and the other one is from the city of lies (you don't know which is which). you don't know which path to take, but you may only ask the two men ONE question about the correct path.

(there are a few possible awnsers for this riddle)

13 answers to this question

Ask either one: "If I were to ask the other guy which path led to the City of Truth, which path would he tell me?" Then take the path that is not stated.

Good guess, but if you asked the one who tells the truth, then you would end up taking the wrong path. It's a 50/50 shot with that.

Good guess, but if you asked the one who tells the truth, then you would end up taking the wrong path. It's a 50/50 shot with that.

No re-read his answer. It's correct because either way there will be one lie in it, because he's asking one about the other one.

Edited by Noct

No re-read his answer. It's correct because either way there will be one lie in it, because he's asking one about the other one.

my bad :( misread it. here's my awnser

if you ask either one "which city do you come from", then you will always be taken to the city of truths.

if you ask either one "which city do you come from", then you will always be taken to the city of truths.

Ooh even simpler. I like it.

I think you'd have to do a little more than ask.

They'd simply answer "the city of truths," and you wouldn't know which path to take.

So [and maybe this is what you meant] have them point to the path they live on.

That is, if pointing has a truth value.... hmmm... maybe it doesn't. :huh:

I have it ... point to a path and ask: is this the path you live on?

If they say yes, take it; no, take the other one. ;)

i love this one. i got this from my psychology teacher.

(this is similar to swindlecants and honestants)

people from the city of truth only tell the truth and people from the city of lies can only tell lies.

you are heading to the city of truths. you come to a fork in the road. one way leads to the city of truths and the other leads to the city of lies. at the fork stands two men. one of them if from the city of truths and the other one is from the city of lies (you don't know which is which). you don't know which path to take, but you may only ask the two men ONE question about the correct path.

(there are a few possible awnsers for this riddle)

it's one of my favs as well... probly the riddle that got me into riddles

this riddle (or variation thereof) was in the Henson movie the Labyrinth with David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly

also made it into the webcomic Order of the Stick (http://www.giantitp.com/Comics.html) by Haley but I can't find the actual comic :(

I think you'd have to do a little more than ask.

They'd simply answer "the city of truths," and you wouldn't know which path to take.

So [and maybe this is what you meant] have them point to the path they live on.

That is, if pointing has a truth value.... hmmm... maybe it doesn't. :huh:

I have it ... point to a path and ask: is this the path you live on?

If they say yes, take it; no, take the other one. ;)

Good point.

ask one of them them to take you to the city that they are from. the liar will bring you to the city of truths and so would the truth teller.