Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weighing machines

Best Answer DeGe, 26 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

Come to think of it...

Spoiler for Old is gold
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 DeGe

DeGe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

If the caretaker remembers 5 eggs which he might have swapped two of them,
(5c2) or 10 possible combinations,how he could find the pair with 2 trials?

The solutions above seem to be for the first 5 eggs. I understood that it was any 5 eggs out of the 12. Try this then!

#12 TimeSpaceLightForce

TimeSpaceLightForce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

Spoiler for

#13 k-man

k-man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

I'm not going to spoiler this as I'm not providing any specific solutions. I've been fiddling around with this problem for some time and still couldn't find a generic formula for digital scale that would determine a number of weighings necessary for a given number of eggs.

However, I can definitely solve the original problem with 12 eggs in 4 weighings using a digital scale.

If limited to 3 weighings, then only up to 9 eggs (36 pairwise combinations) can be solved.

10 eggs (45 pairwise combinations) requires 4 weighings, but if we can reduce the number of combinations by 1 (down to 44) then it can be solved in 3 weighings.

So, if anyone is interested in solving this variation then try this:

Among 10 eggs two are switched, but you know that it's definitely not 1 and 2 that are switched. Find the switched pair using only 3 weighings with a digital scale.

Edited by k-man, 18 September 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#14 TimeSpaceLightForce

TimeSpaceLightForce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

that's the squeeze i was looking for..nice 

#15 TimeSpaceLightForce

TimeSpaceLightForce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:12 PM

Among 10 eggs two are switched, but you know that it's definitely not 1 and 2 that are switched. Find the switched pair using only 3 weighings with a digital scale.

Spoiler for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users