Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sacrifice Mice

Best Answer Yoruichi-san, 14 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

That should work. I had a different answer in mind.

Spoiler for

Spoiler for In that case...

Spoiler for I realized...

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1461 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Oh, if we're allowed to send two mice in a sort of staggered fashion like that - letting one mouse go in one direction and then letting the next mouse go in the same direction several seconds or a minute later to send a signal that's clearly distinct from, say, one mouse making two trips around the prison - then it can be done even faster.

#22 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Hmmm...interesting.  I was only considering the obviously distinguishable cases since they don't a way of telling time and I wasn't sure how fast the mice went, how big the prison was, etc., but as plasmid points out, depending on the level of distinguishability, there are interesting ways of being even more efficient ^_^.

Thanks for the puzzles TSLF :)

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page! Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#23 TimeSpaceLightForce

TimeSpaceLightForce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Oh, if we're allowed to send two mice in a sort of staggered fashion like that - letting one mouse go in one direction and then letting the next mouse go in the same direction several seconds or a minute later to send a signal that's clearly distinct from, say, one mouse making two trips around the prison - then it can be done even faster.

Glad to hope it can be done faster with mice of same speed by distinguishing the ff:

head to tail-       <: )~<: )~

Foot gap-          <: )~            <: )~

One round-        <: )~                                                                                                                                                               <: )~

#24 Brainy Binary

Brainy Binary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

There is no sense to this puzzle if there is no "sacrifice" done like cutting a mouse tail or tying knot to a tail.  In that case to have more distinct codes to lessen the distance of travel. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users