Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bake it

Best Answer k-man, 07 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Spoiler for Do you mean like this?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 dgreening

dgreening

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:52 AM

This is a variation on the problem of 2 people trying to split something. [where A cuts and B chooses which half].

One solution that solves this problem, but can be used for any practical value of N people

Spoiler for

Spoiler for In this process

If person 1 cuts a small slice, no one will take it and person 1 gets the small slice

#12 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5828 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:42 AM

You're right. I didn't read to the end of your solution, and I think you've solved it. 

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#13 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

You're right. I didn't read to the end of your solution, and I think you've solved it. 

Apart from:

The host expect the plates to have a piece of cake  with similar weight, size, shape and flavor (for fairness).

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#14 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5828 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

If exact results are required I agree.

I can't imagine how without a scale or other way to verify.

If OP requires similar and fair, it has the same flavor as the I cut - you choose n=2 case.

With regard to specifics,

1. Flavor - seems automatic. Sounds like it might even be tongue in cheek (pun intended.)
  2. Size and weight go together - each person does a visual inspection.
  3. Shape is satisfied by cutting wedges from the center.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#15 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

I get the logic... but the OP still says to create 5 equal pieces with four cuts. And each person has 1/5

Edited by fabpig, 04 March 2014 - 07:07 PM.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#16 TimeSpaceLightForce

TimeSpaceLightForce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

If OP requires similar and fair, it has the same flavor as the I cut - you choose n=2 case.

1. Flavor - seems automatic. Sounds like it might even be tongue in cheek (pun intended.)

The issue here is fairness for all the 4 guests/cutters ..and it is still fair for all if the remaining piece on the tray has the same flavor,volume ,weight yet not the same shape like the pieces on the plates.

#17 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5828 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

The issue here is fairness for all the 4 guests/cutters ..and it is still fair for all if the remaining piece on the tray has the same flavor,volume ,weight yet not the same shape like the pieces on the plates.

OK, so the question is, and we're all anxious to know ... has the puzzle been solved?

And if not, what is missing from dgreening's solution?

- Bertrand Russell

#18 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Spoiler for Wellllll

#19 TimeSpaceLightForce

TimeSpaceLightForce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

Spoiler for hint

#20 TimeSpaceLightForce

TimeSpaceLightForce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

This is a variation on the problem of 2 people trying to split something. [where A cuts and B chooses which half].

One solution that solves this problem, but can be used for any practical value of N people

Spoiler for

Spoiler for In this process

If person 1 cuts a small slice, no one will take it and person 1 gets the small slice

@dgreening "Person 1 [arbitrarily chosen] cuts a piece of cake, puts it on a plate and passes it to Person 2"-   can not do that with single cut..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users