Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

observe the spiral

Best Answer fabpig, 05 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

Spoiler for Going off caike's lead

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 unwiz

unwiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

Spoiler for Going off caike's lead

Correct! way to go :)

#12 Perhaps check it again

Perhaps check it again

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:24 AM

How is this supposed to be a valid puzzle?  Is there some app on this site that allows

users to measure lengths of sides of line segments?  If there isn't a way to determine

lengths of sides, then users can't confirm prime side lengths.

#13 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

Perhaps, this is a valid puzzle, simply because some solved it while others didn't.

I didn't solve this puzzle. I only made some observations then left it alone. Namely, the sequence of lengths seemed to be the point. As you point out it's not simple to measure them. Even if you could, you'd have to choose units that made them all integral to find the answer. If I had set out to make the effort, I probably would have taken the image into Photoshop where there is a tool for measuring lengths.

But there is an easier way, even, than that. The spacings can be seen to be integers by even crude methods. From the spacings the integral lengths can be calculated, and then the answer is seen. Solving puzzles is very much about finding methods. Intuition plays a role too. There are quick-and-dirty analytical techniques that guide the process as well. For example here one can see the spacings don't vary widely. That makes primes a candidate, and rules out the Fibonacci numbers.

I don't mean to be critical of your post, rather to help you get enjoyment from the broadest possible range of puzzles. Take the position that a puzzle has an answer and that it is within your grasp to find it. Let the search for a method be part of the puzzle itself. The very best puzzles uncover a simple answer to an otherwise difficult or complex question.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users