Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How many taxis are there?

Best Answer jamieg, 13 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

Spoiler for Frequentist approach

Spoiler for Bayesian approach

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

I arrive at a small town.  Leaving the airport i see five taxis out front.  The city sponsors the taxis.  Each taxicab has a unique number on it.  The largest number on the taxicab was 90.  How many taxis are there in the city?

#2 DeathStone0000

DeathStone0000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:26 AM

Spoiler for

NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA

._.

#3 jamieg

jamieg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:21 PM   Best Answer

Spoiler for Frequentist approach

Spoiler for Bayesian approach

#4 Quantum.Mechanic

Quantum.Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

I appreciate the numerical theory in the answer, but I don't buy into that. A Monte Carlo run shows that 90 is the most likely value, though this decreases slowly. Picking 5 random values from a list, where N is the highest value in the original list, and 90 is the highest of the 5 observed values, and running for 1 million trials, I get a table that looks like this. (I've not listed all values to 190, the last N that had any hits.)

N *** % 90 4.63% 91 9.01% 92 13.13% 93 17.02% 94 20.74% 95 24.21% 96 27.53% 97 30.72% 98 33.71% 99 36.58% 100 39.30%

From this run, the chances are even that N is less than or more than 105.

How to reconcile this result with the numerical analysis?

Also, if the numerical analysis has 2 valid answers, then there must be a range of valid answers in that region. It seems to me that this problem doesn't have an answer, but a handwaving "something about here" result.

#5 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

I marked the post as being correct. Not necessarily both answers.  His "frequentest approach" was the one i was looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users