Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ghost Ships

Best Answer DeGe, 15 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

Spoiler for Ahoy there

I is E above.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:39 AM

Four ghostly galleons – call them E, F, G and H, – sail on a ghostly sea so foggy that visibility is nearly zero. Each pursues its course steadily, changing neither its speed nor heading. G collides with H amidships; but since they are ghostly galleons they pass through each other with no damage nor change in course. As they part, H’s captain hears G’s say “Damnation! That’s our third collision this night!” A little while later, F runs into H amidships with the same effect (none) and H’s captain hears the same outburst from F’s. What can H’s captain do to avoid a third collision and yet reach his original destination, whatever it may be, and why will doing that succeed?

#2 DeGe

DeGe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Spoiler for Ahoy there

#3 DeGe

DeGe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:53 PM   Best Answer

Spoiler for Ahoy there

I is E above.

#4 harey

harey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

If I posted this problem, I would ask to clarify:

1) why the lines H and I cannot be parallel;

2) crossing trajectories do not necessarily imply that the ships collide.

BTW, the sea should be endless (so that H does not reach her destination before colliding).

#5 DeGe

DeGe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

If I posted this problem, I would ask to clarify:

1) why the lines H and I cannot be parallel;

2) crossing trajectories do not necessarily imply that the ships collide.

BTW, the sea should be endless (so that H does not reach her destination before colliding).

1) Agree. Of course H and I can be parallel. Alternatively, they could even meet/collide at the same point (or just after) the collision between H and F. However, The question is not to find out the exact points at which they collide (if they do).

2) Agree again - that will depend on the relative speeds of the ships. Since no such info is given in the op, the solution must provide for any possible combination of speeds and directions.

The proposed solutions does take that into account.

Edited by DeGe, 16 October 2013 - 10:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users