Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Picking his sentence

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

At the end of a trial an eccentric judge sentenced the accused individual to some number of years in prison.  However, the judge pointed out that this individual should 'select' the number of years to be served by himself!  The judge placed 12 boxes on the circumference of a circle.  Each box was numbered, the clockwise sequence of numbers on the boxes was, 7, 10, 1, 3, 6, 11, 8, 4, 5, 9, 0 and 2.  The sentenced man was told that there was a number of coins in each box; again, the clockwise sequence o numbers of coins was 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,7, 8, 9, 10, 12.  The sentenced man should select a box and the number of coins in the box would determine the length of the sentence.  However, before the man pointed to any box, he asked the judge whether he could get any additional information, namely, how many boxes had numbers which exactly matched the number of coins they contained?  The judge replied that such information could not be disclosed, as it would allow him to determine teh empty box.  The man thought a little and pointed to the empty box anyway!  How did he know?  Which box did he point to?

#2 ThunderCloud

ThunderCloud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

Spoiler for

#3 witzar

witzar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Spoiler for

#4 DeGe

DeGe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Spoiler for Coin setting

#5 Ms. Logic

Ms. Logic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Hello, this is my first stab at answering a riddle, since I am a new member :).

But Here is my Logic:

Spoiler for

Edited by Ms. Logic, 07 October 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#6 Russky

Russky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Spoiler for Again, I'm a newbie but this looks fairly straightforward..(?!)

#7 Russky

Russky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hello, this is my first stab at answering a riddle, since I am a new member :).

But Here is my Logic:

Spoiler for

Yes quite sneaky use of language - I get the same answer a different way (but yours is much simpler!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users