Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Million Dollar Urns

Best Answer superprismatic, 07 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

Spoiler for what I would pay to play

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

This is a problem where it's actually advantageous NOT to apply "without loss of generality".
Spoiler for This is an extension of what DeGe was starting to notice, and is a proof of his answer

Edited by plasmid, 10 October 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#12 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

WOLOG isn't needed in my previous explanation. Rather,

Coin 3 goes into one of the urns. Call that urn X.

Now x/y = 2 and for Coin 4, p(X)/p(Y) = 2 which on average maintains <x>/<y> = 2,

making min = 333 333. And, if you could add frational coins, that is the correct result.

But...

Spoiler for Simulations don't lie

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#13 superprismatic

superprismatic

Not just Prismatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Spoiler for DeGe made a slight mistake at the tail end of his computation

#14 DeGe

DeGe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

Spoiler for DeGe made a slight mistake at the tail end of his computation

I stand corrected

#15 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

OK someone help me out on this. If the cases are 1 ... N/2, and there are TWO cases for all of them but N/2, for which there is only ONE case, then why isn't the average slightly LESS than N/4?

And since this is my 4999th post, does that mean the next one has to be profound in some way? I'm in trouble. :~}
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#16 superprismatic

superprismatic

Not just Prismatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

OK someone help me out on this. If the cases are 1 ... N/2, and there are TWO cases for all of them but N/2, for which there is only ONE case, then why isn't the average slightly LESS than N/4?

And since this is my 4999th post, does that mean the next one has to be profound in some way? I'm in trouble. :~}

I'm not sure how to answer this, but consider that the average of the first 2n integers is (2n+1)/2, not n.  It is larger by 1/2.

#17 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

I'm not sure how to answer this, but consider that the average of the first 2n integers is (2n+1)/2, not n.  It is larger by 1/2.

Yes.
You'd need to include zero to make it n.
My bad.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users