Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

blind bartender

Best Answer plasmid, 30 September 2013 - 04:34 AM

Very neat problem. The answer is certainly unintuitive.

Spoiler for Checkmate in 7

Edit: renamed states for clarity Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 phil1882

phil1882

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

if all 4 glasses are up or all 4 down, the game is over at the start.

#12 radio1

radio1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

if all 4 glasses are up or all 4 down, the game is over at the start.

I see from BMAD's earlier respose that this is his intended interpretation, but to me the wording of the puzzle doesn't make that clear.  As stated, the puzzle seems to have the bartender blindfolded and engaged in a minimum of one "round" of turning over either 1 or 2 glasses, as only "After each round, the bartender is told if all glasses are oriented the same and the game is over.".

Fun puzzle though either way -- and the logic in plasmid's solution extends to either interpretation.

Thanks to all.

-radio1

#13 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Nice point radio1.  I guess the question would be, would the start of round 1 mean the end of round zero and hence the bartender would be told that the glasses are not all in the same orientation. or would the start of round 2 be the first time the bartender is informed.

To me, in a practical sense, i would tell the bartender that i am mixing up four glasses and he will have to correctly orient them while blindfolded (telling him the rules of the game), so essentially, i am telling him at round zero that the glasses are not in the same orientation.  

But either way, you are right in that Plasmid's solution still works.

Edited by BMAD, 02 October 2013 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users