Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I stumbled upon this logic problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 catcher_silviu

catcher_silviu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

You want to buy a phone( the item is not important, it can be anything) that costs 97 $. You borrow 50$ from your mother and 50 $ from your father. After you buy the phone you are left with 3 $. You give 1 $ to your mother and 1 $ to your father. You now owe them 49 $ each. But you still got 1 $ .

Maybe its quite easy and I just don't see it.

#2 mrgabe

mrgabe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

Spoiler for payments, change, debt

#3 jhawk

jhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

Spoiler for Perhaps the easiest way to look at it

#4 catcher_silviu

catcher_silviu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

Nice replies. Obviosly all the money are still there, it's not a "get rich fast " way ...lol

I thought it was a nice logic problem and I was in a sharing mood :)

#5 OmegaScales

OmegaScales

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

I remember hearing a similar logic problem problem when I was younger (7-10). I can't remember it very well, but it does have the supposed "magically appearing dollar" thing.

When the fiery moon rises and the frozen sun sets, then the war between good and evil shall come to an end. Until then I, the guardian of both heaven and hell, the keeper of destruction and bringer of peace, shall dream these lives to death and freedom.

#6 mrgabe

mrgabe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

I remember hearing a similar logic problem problem when I was younger (7-10). I can't remember it very well, but it does have the supposed "magically appearing dollar" thing.

Omega, I think that one was:

3 people (pirates, if you read the same book I did!) get a room at an Inn and each pay $10. The Inn Keeper realizes the room was only $25 and that he overcharged them. He tells the clerk to give $5 back to the people. Seeing that the people wouldn't be able split the change evenly, and given that they weren't expecting the money back any way, the clerk pockets $2 and gives the 3 people $3.

Each receives $1 back, and one says: sweet! we got the room for $27 (3 x $9). The clerk still has $2 in his pocket.

The room was $27. The clerk has $2. That's $29.

Where's the missing $1?

#7 OmegaScales

OmegaScales

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:54 AM

Oh yeah, the disappearing dollar... close enough. And I still find it funny that I keep trying to figure out what the miscalculation was even though I know what it is... if that makes any sense.

When the fiery moon rises and the frozen sun sets, then the war between good and evil shall come to an end. Until then I, the guardian of both heaven and hell, the keeper of destruction and bringer of peace, shall dream these lives to death and freedom.

#8 harey

harey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

Spoiler for If still not clear, try some accounting.

#9 bgm1961

bgm1961

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

3 people (pirates, if you read the same book I did!) get a room at an Inn and each pay $10. The Inn Keeper realizes the room was only $25 and that he overcharged them. He tells the clerk to give $5 back to the people. Seeing that the people wouldn't be able split the change evenly, and given that they weren't expecting the money back any way, the clerk pockets $2 and gives the 3 people $3.

Each receives $1 back, and one says: sweet! we got the room for $27 (3 x $9). The clerk still has $2 in his pocket.

The room was $27. The clerk has $2. That's $29.

Where's the missing $1?

Missing dollar puzzles like these have had a damaging effect on me for the past 40 years! Damn them! This same puzzle messed with my mind at an younger age. And so to this day, I can't produce a math or logic solution without second and triple-guessing myself!  Doesn't matter if I arrive at the correct solution in the first couple of seconds, nor if the answer is staring me right in the face, I still re-examine my answer with an air of self-doubt... all because of this stupid puzzle that shattered my confidence all those years ago!

Edited by bgm1961, 22 September 2013 - 05:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users