Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Making a fair choice

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 amateur_reborn

amateur_reborn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

Spoiler for One way?

#12 DeGe

DeGe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

The fourth person could be influenced by any of the three!

How can a random person, whom none of them has ever met, be influenced on such a mundane choice? And don't say money, because it would make no sense to pay someone for such a simple thing.

How will you decide who will choose the "random person" then when the only contact they have is through emails?

they can agree to random chance it.

roll a dice. 1 or 4 equals restaurant 1, 2 or 5; 2; 3 or 6, 3

Who will roll the dice then?

#13 DeGe

DeGe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Spoiler for One way?

What if C thinks that A and B will rig the outcome by changing the restaurant codes once they know the value from C? A possibility if both A and B do not like the restaurant chosen by C?

#14 DeGe

DeGe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Aha, ok then here's another idea:

Spoiler for

Although technically speaking, I don't think there is any flaw in this solution, using this method is way too complicated.

#15 kukupai

kukupai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Spoiler for is this fair enough?

#16 amateur_reborn

amateur_reborn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Spoiler for One way?

What if C thinks that A and B will rig the outcome by changing the restaurant codes once they know the value from C? A possibility if both A and B do not like the restaurant chosen by C?

My assumption was that A, B, C have no preference other than their own favorite restaurant. If C picks up his own favorite restaurant out of X, Y and Z through blind luck (1/3 probability), then A and B have to agree upon a restaurant between A and B's choice to circumvent C's fair selection. They would be each rooting for their own favorite and won't be able to reach a compromise. 

In any case, C can always demand a password protected document with the actual translation of X,Y and Z before making the choice. Once C makes the choice, then A or B can reveal the password so that C can open the document and confirm the choice made. Of course, this still leaves the option of C breaking the password if he's a master hacker or something. But I think that would be a stretch and can still be avoided by using a very strong password (encrypting) and asking C to make his choice within a minute of getting the details (so that he won't have time trying to unlock the code). They can all be online to make sure C responds immediately.

Edited by amateur_reborn, 21 August 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#17 phil1882

phil1882

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

who rolls the dice? what difference does that make?

random is random; assuming they aren't professional crap shooters.

if you really insist, they could each roll 1 dice and take the %3 total restaurant.

#18 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:49 AM

@Phil Ok, since you rolled a 1, and DeJe rolled a 3, I will say I rolled a 4 or a 1 so we are all going to Porkys Slop Barn

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008

#19 DeGe

DeGe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

In any case, C can always demand a password protected document with the actual translation of X,Y and Z before making the choice. Once C makes the choice, then A or B can reveal the password so that C can open the document and confirm the choice made. Of course, this still leaves the option of C breaking the password if he's a master hacker or something. But I think that would be a stretch and can still be avoided by using a very strong password (encrypting) and asking C to make his choice within a minute of getting the details (so that he won't have time trying to unlock the code). They can all be online to make sure C responds immediately.

This is the key point. It prevents any cheating and is fair to all 3.

#20 kestrelknight

kestrelknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

:offtopic: I just want to say that there are a lot of newbies on the logic puzzle forums. As awesome as that is, I'd just like to mention how lonely we are on the word puzzle forums... Alright, I'm done.  :thanks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users