BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Someone wants to travel to New Delhi from Bangkok with a helicopter.

Which way is faster?

1) Take the helicopter and fly to New Delhi

2) Take the helicopter, go up into the air and wait for the earth to turn until it reaches New Delhi.

13 answers to this question

Someone wants to travel to New Delhi from Bangkok with a helicopter.

Which way is faster?

1) Take the helicopter and fly to New Delhi

2) Take the helicopter, go up into the air and wait for the earth to turn until it reaches New Delhi.

Definitely, The first method is the easier one.

As far as I know , if you go up in the air , and wait for the earth to rotate along it's axis until it reaches New Delhi you can wait till you die (or) until there is no fuel left in the helicopter.You will also rotate with the earth so you will be reaching nowhere. ;) I checked just now and found that the average rotation speed of earth around it's own axis is some 4 minutes less than it's rotation with respect to sun.

;)

Hey ! I am already not sure.

Edited by grey cells

sorry forgot to add before

unless you helicopter can fly at 1000mph (which the first option would be quicker) then the second one is impossible so even if the second one is possible then the first one is stil quicker

Couple factors:

1) speed of helicopter makes a bit of a difference

2) New Dehli to Bangkok you're flying INTO the direction of axial rotation, so you get the benefit of earth's rotation and time zone change.

3) Bangkok is SE of New Dehli - if you hover you'll end up in Chicago before you end up in Bangkok :)

Tell me one thing. If it is raining in NEW YORK, then after 12 hours it should be raining in INDIA as after earth rotates, the clouds should have reached India.

First option is correct. In second option the helicopter will be at the same position from where it started.

It would be faster flying there. if you flew up in the air, the earth's gravitational pull would keep pulling you along with it...you might move a few yards or so but not much. so flying there would be faster.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Thuhchris