BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

This riddle was posed to a group from my office, and for the life of me I cannot find a solution.

A man had his grandchildren visiting on a very rainy day. The kids were starting to get antsy and bored. To keep them busy the grandfather said "I have hidden a $20 bill somewhere in this house. I will only give you one hint as to the location and if you find it we will go straight to the toy store". His one hint was a riddle:

On the opposite side of 8 + 8

On top of 1 of 3

Where did he hide the $20?

Any ideas?

11 answers to this question

Without thinking I would say , it was hidden in the toy store. Because the puzzle said if the children find the $20 bill , they would go straightaway to the toy store. But not sure about the answer though. :)

Riddle:

Maybe 8+8=16 was the grandpa's apartment number and opposite to it was the toy store.

And the top of 1(3) may mean some toy's location.

How about that? ;)

Edited by grey cells

Without thinking I would say , it was hidden in the toy store. Because the puzzle said if the children find the $20 bill , they would go straightaway to the toy store. But not sure about the answer though. :)

Riddle:

Maybe 8+8=16 was the grandpa's apartment number and opposite to it was the toy store.

And the top of 1(3) may mean some toy's location.

How about that? ;)

I don't think so grey cells

I have hidden a $20 bill somewhere in this house

This is a good one, I'm totally stumped... <_<

Edited by itachi-san

Well, if this is right for the first clue it should get all our minds moving in the right direction. Hopefully it's right for the whole riddle :)

opposite the piano. 8 and 8 makes 88. 88 keys on a piano. So, maybe it's on one of the 3 foot pedals?

Edited by itachi-san

I'm thinking itachi-san has it,
opposite side of 8+8 [keys] since the keys face upward,

opposite side could mean underneath.

And that's where the 1 of 3 pedals are.

Looking at the whole OP, itachi-san's answer fits perfectly.

That would work except it says "On top of 1 of 3" Though it is our best option yet.

What about

It is hidden in his hand?

"On the opposite side of 8 + 8"

8+8=16 reverse the numbers and it is 61 (his age??)

"On top of 1 of 3"

In his hand on top of his cane? the other two being his legs.

That would work except it says "On top of 1 of 3" Though it is our best option yet.

What about

It is hidden in his hand?

"On the opposite side of 8 + 8"

8+8=16 reverse the numbers and it is 61 (his age??)

"On top of 1 of 3"

In his hand on top of his cane? the other two being his legs.

On top of 1 of 3 piano pedals makes total sense. I sincerely doubt the riddle would require us to guess his age. And the cane, legs thing doesn't work. The riddle says on top, not in. And even it were on top, the kids would see it right away.

This is another guess... obviously, just to put ideas out there.

Maybe with 8 and 8 he's referring to the time at the moment. So opposite side could be behind a clock, maybe an alarm clock.

On top of 1 of 3 could be a stack of 3 books (or something else) with the $20 bill hidden on top of the 1st and below then 2nd.

To think of another solution one could start off with things around the house that have numbers, like clocks, telephones, remote controls, oven timers, stereos...

This is another guess... obviously, just to put ideas out there.

Maybe with 8 and 8 he's referring to the time at the moment. So opposite side could be behind a clock, maybe an alarm clock.

On top of 1 of 3 could be a stack of 3 books (or something else) with the $20 bill hidden on top of the 1st and below then 2nd.

To think of another solution one could start off with things around the house that have numbers, like clocks, telephones, remote controls, oven timers, stereos...

I do not think so, because you would have to assume that he is referring to the time at the moment.