Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A Necktie Paradox

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

Two men are each given a necktie by their respective wives as a Christmas present. Over drinks they start arguing over who has the more expensive necktie, and agree to have a wager over it. They will consult their wives and find out which necktie is the more expensive. The terms of the bet are that the man with the more expensive necktie has to give it to the other as the prize.

The first man reasons as follows: the probability of me winning or losing is 50:50. If I lose, then I lose the value of my necktie. If I win, then I win more than the value of my necktie. In other words, I can bet x and have a 50% chance of winning more than x. Therefore it is definitely in my interest to make the wager. The second man can consider the wager in exactly the same way; therefore, paradoxically, it seems both men have the advantage in the bet.

Is there a problem here?

#2 Nins_Leprechaun

Nins_Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

the first and biggest problem is that neither realizes that their wife will kill them if they give away their christmas present
also...

Spoiler for

#3 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5971 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

Spoiler for sounds like

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#4 gavinksong

gavinksong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

Spoiler for

#5 witzar

witzar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

The first man reasons as follows: the probability of me winning or losing is 50:50. If I lose, then I lose the value of my necktie. If I win, then I win more than the value of my necktie. In other words, I can bet x and have a 50% chance of winning more than x. Therefore it is definitely in my interest to make the wager.

Spoiler for

Edited by witzar, 09 July 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#6 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5971 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

Spoiler for

Spoiler for because

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#7 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1465 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

The most intuitive way (well, only intuitive way) I can think of to explain why the logic "I have a 50/50 chance of winning/losing" and "if I win then I gain more than if I lose" is faulty is because, particularly if this were to happen in the real world, the wives would not spend some amount of money on a necktie that could like anywhere within the range of positive real numbers. There would have to be some probability distribution of how much money they could spend on a tie. As soon as you create a probability distribution from which the two ties are drawn, it becomes clear that the more valuable your tie is, the more likely you are to lose the bet.

#8 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

then intuitively would

The most intuitive way (well, only intuitive way) I can think of to explain why the logic "I have a 50/50 chance of winning/losing" and "if I win then I gain more than if I lose" is faulty is because, particularly if this were to happen in the real world, the wives would not spend some amount of money on a necktie that could like anywhere within the range of positive real numbers. There would have to be some probability distribution of how much money they could spend on a tie. As soon as you create a probability distribution from which the two ties are drawn, it becomes clear that the more valuable your tie is, the more likely you are to lose the bet.

then intuitively, wouldn't the same logic apply in reverse?  A husband knowing the frugal nature of his wife believes with very much certainty that his necktie was bought heavily discounted and thus has a great chance of winning

#9 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1465 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

Yes, you're more likely to win if your tie is cheap and more likely to lose if your tie is expensive.

That's why, even if you go into the problem thinking you have a 50/50 chance of winning if you don't have any prior knowledge of the values of the ties, you in fact have a greater chance of losing if your tie is expensive than if it's cheap. So the outcomes are really not equal and are dependent on the value of your tie.

#10 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:16 AM

All are winners!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users