Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 finance_it

finance_it

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:41 PM

My middle child was bragging to her little sister about all the quarters she had found in her easter eggs last weekend, so i being a "good dad" challenged her with this...

I will give you one dime for every quarter that you can stand on end on the kitchen table. She gladly spent the next 15 minutes struggling to stand each of her quarters on end. She finally gave up after only getting 7 of the 10 quarters up on end.

My question to you and of course my daughter was why she was so dang upset with me after I did exactly what I had said.

#2 tink

tink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

She might have thought you were going to give her more $ or was upset because she thought she could do it but couldn't.

#3 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:06 PM

My middle child was bragging to her little sister about all the quarters she had found in her easter eggs last weekend, so i being a "good dad" challenged her with this...

I will give you one dime for every quarter that you can stand on end on the kitchen table. She gladly spent the next 15 minutes struggling to stand each of her quarters on end. She finally gave up after only getting 7 of the 10 quarters up on end.

My question to you and of course my daughter was why she was so dang upset with me after I did exactly what I had said.

Spoiler for answer

#4 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:09 PM

Spoiler for my answer

#5 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

Spoiler for Amazing...

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#6 tink

tink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

but he didnt take the quarters away he gave her a dime for every quarter she got to stand

#7 GIJeff

GIJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:27 PM

he gave her a dime for every quarter she got to stand

Exactly. Every one that she stood on end, he took and gave her a dime for it.

Edited by GIJeff, 28 March 2008 - 10:28 PM.

#8 tink

tink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

it dous NOT say that he took the quarter in exchange for the dimes it SAID he would GIVE a dime ...

#9 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

it dous NOT say that he took the quarter in exchange for the dimes it SAID he would GIVE a dime ...

So if I said "I'll give you a cookie for every quarter you put in the jar." you're saying that means that you get to keep the quarters AND keep all the cookies I give you?

When you give something for something else, you're making an exchange, and so he would get to keep the quarters.

#10 finance_it

finance_it

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

Spoiler for mean aren't I

Spoiler for not enough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users