Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Light-bulb Problem

Best Answer BMAD, 10 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

My answer is not very different from BobbyGo's, mainly to recognize two switches light one bulb from each of the two groups, thereby eliminating analysis of some non-occurring cases. It took me awhile to conclude the 1- and 3-switch bulbs were different, then the rest fell quickly in place.

I'll share my BA with BG. ;)

Spoiler for
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1658 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

This is a modified version of the famous light-bulb problem.  

There are three switches in the hallway.  turning on the switches in different combinations cause different light-bulbs in the room to turn on. There are six light-bulbs and from turning on all of the possible combinations, each light-bulb is turned on at most twice (in other words there are only two ways to turn on a light-bulb).  We need to map the switches to the light-bulbs.  

The only things we know is that flicking 1 switch causes 1 light-bulb to turn-on, flicking 2 switches causes 2 to turn-on, and flicking all 3 cause three light-bulbs to turn-on and if a switch turns on a light-bulb, that switch must be on to turn it on again (even if flicking 2 switches).

What is the fewest number of 'tests' needed to effectively map the light-bulbs to the switches?

#2 Nins_Leprechaun

Nins_Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Missed the last point and am starting again

Edited by Nins_Leprechaun, 18 June 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#3 Nins_Leprechaun

Nins_Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

I'm still getting the same brutish answer. However, either the question is leading me on with useless information or there's a better solution

Spoiler for

#4 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1658 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

testing the 2 combos won't tell you which single switch turns on a single light-bulb and which three switch turns on which three switch combo.

#5 Nins_Leprechaun

Nins_Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

I may have misunderstood something, but here is a better explanation of what I meant

Spoiler for

#6 BobbyGo

BobbyGo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Spoiler for

Edited by BobbyGo, 18 June 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#7 Nins_Leprechaun

Nins_Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

testing the 2 combos won't tell you which single switch turns on a single light-bulb and which three switch turns on which three switch combo.

Ahh yes, now I understand what the confusion here was
Spoiler for

#8 jordge

jordge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

Spoiler for My answer

Edited by jordge, 19 June 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#9 BobbyGo

BobbyGo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

Spoiler for

I had considered testing for heat and testing for light to count as two different tests because you would need to use two different senses to acquire the information.  If this is correct, I'll stick with my answer above.

If this is not the case, I'll change my answer to the one below.

Spoiler for

#10 jordge

jordge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

BobbyGo - I think your assumption about the light configurations is wrong. When I read the OP, I took it literally in that if a light is on, a certain switch must be up, exclusive of any other switches that may be up.  This would prevent the possibility of switch 1 operating light A individually but then the switch 2 and 3 combination also illuminating Light A.

OP - Clarification?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users