Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Young Justice

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#231 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

Lol...I think you misunderstand me...I agree with everything you've said about it being easy to use, useful, and widely applicable, especially for new hosts (I said as much in my first post on the topic).  I'm not trying to, like, 'put it down', or anything, like I said, I respect Bb greatly for creating it and I think it's a great model overall.   

And I absolutely agree about the Newtonian physics part, I was actually thinking about that analogy as well :lol:.  But using the same analogy, I, in my infinite Mathgirl-ness, can't help trying to develop Maxwell's laws... ;)

Araver, I sincerely apologize if you feel I was offending the system.  That was not my intent...I admit, I tend be analytical rather than, like, 'tactful', although I did try to make clear my respect and support of the system as a general system (sorry I failed :().  One thing I learned the hard way about forum content:  it doesn't show tone well...I write with an analytical tone much of the time, which can be wrongly read as an 'attacking tone' :/.

I am a scientist by trade (and by DNA, apparently *whistling*) and I look at Bb's system as an empirical model that is useful and clever, and hence, like most scientists who look at empirical models that they like, try to find places it could be improved.  Science is about collaboration, and scientists are always critiquing and trying to improve on others' works.  I am truly sorry if this aspect of my personality can cause conflict or seem insulting to some :(.  

Again, I reiterate, I think Bb's Model is fantastic and I fully support using anyone's choice to use it as a tool to design games.  Please don't mind my scientific/engineering curiosity if I try to build Maxwell's Mafia equations, tho ;)

Edited by Yoruichi-san, 26 June 2013 - 09:43 PM.

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page! Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#232 araver

araver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

Lol, posting from a phone really makes my posts come out worse than I thought :)) and yes, I am likewise analytical (and have been lynched many times b/c of the loss of tone meta-information in forum communication). 

Sorry there were no paragraph marks in my post :(.

Trying to separate the threads again (from a computer this time):

1. There was no misunderstanding, I wasn't in any way against your future Maxwell equations and I did not feel you offended the system :P

I have only tried to compactly present (some of) the conclusions of some very long threads into one or two paragraphs just to get you up to speed to where / why we used it and what the overall opinion is after we've been using it for more than 1 year (fragmented opinions but with some common ground).

Especially the pressure of having multiple Hosts designing multiple Mafias (kinda mainstream) melded those opinions.

2. Re this game I have my own biased opinion on interactions which has nothing to do with the discussion about balance in general. Bias from playing (albeit not very long), bias from being a sore loser (half bias 'cause I just admitted it out loud, right? :) ) and most of all bias from being a host having personal preferences and inklings regarding interactions in Mafia games.

3. My last paragraph (lines actually) were actually designed to be a joke. E.g.

[off-topic parenthesis: I have been proud to call myself an (aspiring) scientist, until a mob of people convinced me that actually all of the results I proved follow the same pattern: something is either not true, utterly impossible or at least infeasible. So I became a manager, thinking it's a job where the inclination of discovering there is no way to do something will be very useful. Turns out it doesn't.]

Summer of 2014:
Show the Mafia world you're back in action ... signup for Justice League Unleashed (Again) - Second Arc: Of Magic and Men. Come join the madness!  :thumbsup:

Puzzles open: Strange Creatures I Past puzzles: Mystery Operation Series: I, II, III, IV; Contamination Scenario;
Past games: Crack the Code Series: III, VII, IXPast mafia games: UN Mafia, UN Mafia II, Star Trek Mafia, TMM IV

Almost random quotes:
>> Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

#233 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Lol...sorry, my mistake (compounded by a mild case of heat stroke and a painful internal sore on my foot...I should really stop doing 10 mile runs in the 85 degree heat and like 80% humidity ^_^)...it seemed that you were defending using the system, which I didn't think needed defending, unless you misunderstood my intent.  I totally understand why Bb's model is a great one to use and I wasn't telling anyone not to use it for their games, but I do think that in the 'user-friendliness' of the model, it sacrifices some refinement.  Having the engineering game theorist's soul that I do, I couldn't help (really O:)) analyzing it and trying to find places for improvement.  To be honest, I don't expect anyone to actually use the 'Maxwell' version I am trying to come up it, since, well, as you can probably guess, it will be somewhat math-intense.  

But I do think my suggestion for passive skills makes a lot of sense, and is not difficult to implement ;).

And I admit, I have a personal bias too...in my mafia player 'career' (or 'careers', I should say :ph34r:, *cough* *whistling*), the only games I lost as an innocent were the ones where I died the first Night/Day or that were probability based and we, like, lost 5 coin tosses in a row :lol:, so I tend to think the innocent 'strength' is under-estimated in general. 

Speaking of which, I have a crazy little piece in the works:  7 players, no factions, free for all, individual win conditions.  Keep an eye out for it.

Oh and if anyone wants to be a substitute in Liar Game, PM me :thumbsup:

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page! Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#234 ShadowAngel7

ShadowAngel7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

Speaking of which, I have a crazy little piece in the works:  7 players, no factions, free for all, individual win conditions.  Keep an eye out for it.

Free for alls are always the best!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users