Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Young Justice

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#211 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1356 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

MODFRAMMIT. I was counting on the RID lynch save... Sorry goodies.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#212 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1356 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

Anyways, good game all! Nice job on the posts Yuroichi.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#213 kingofpain

kingofpain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

Good game all... thanks for the good one Y-san!

#214 Panther

Panther

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Great game everyone, thanks for playing :D And you were a great host, Y-san :)

"It's so cute when it's sleeping, isn't it? Actually, it's still as abhorrent as ever, but at least it's not trying to kill us."
-Noyan Dar, Tazeem lullmage

#215 vommack

vommack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Good game everyone.
Now Flame, if I could ask a question... WHY?!

#216 ShadowAngel7

ShadowAngel7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Good game, y'all :D

#217 Kikacat123

Kikacat123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Good game, everybody. And thanks to y-San for being an amazing mafia host.
"Silflay hraka, u embleer Rah!" - Thlayli, Watership Down

#218 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

Excellent game Y-San. Have to admit, Shad played the ideal Indy and should have won. As for us Baddies :D KoP made a lot of calls that were almost psychically on the mark, and by some incredible turn of events he and Panther forced a situation where there was, in essence, no lynch.
(Might want to fix the balance on that lynch switch, Y-San)
As for my death... :dry: vomm's lucky spy and Mike's incredible jump-the-gun kill attempt was just unfortunate. But all's well that ends well, congrats to my baddie friends and thanks Y-San for an awesome death post :) as well as a hearty thanks to all players for an interesting and fun game.

Edited by Aaryan, 22 June 2013 - 11:58 PM.

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#219 vommack

vommack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:51 AM

Yeah, that lynch switch got really overpowered by the end...

#220 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

I disagree that the lynch switch needs to be altered, it worked pretty much the way it was intended.  I agree that it was overpowered at the end, but that was b/c the 'mass outing' at the end was exactly what the lynch switch was designed to punish.

I actually spent a good deal of time considering what restrictions to put on the lynch switch in terms of what I wanted it to accomplish, and in the end I decided the only restriction I wanted on it was not to make Vandal Savage nearly invincible.

There were two main reasons I designed the lynch switch as so:

1)  To discourage the 'mass outing' scenarios that waaaaayyyyyy too many mafia games degenerate into.  That is, when the innocents all blatantly hint at their roles, and the mafia is cornered by not having a role to hint at.  This generally takes the fun out of being mafia and has been a problem hosts have been trying to deal with since I started playing.

There are different ways hosts try to accomplish this.  Some hosts explicitly prohibiting players from outing themselves, but I do not like telling players what they can and cannot say.  I prefer allowing players to try to figure out the consequences of their actions and come up with creative strategies.  Another method is by giving the mafia a spy role, but I generally don't like straight spies, and in a lot of my games I don't have them (this was an exception).  

A common way to deal with the mass outing is RID kills, which, frankly, I've gotten bored with ;), so I try to think of other interesting roles that penalize outing.   The RID manipulate is one of my favorites, since it can be 'the gift that keeps on giving', so to speak...imagine a RID manipulator with his/her claws in the innocent killing role... :ph34r:.  The RID lynch swap does not 'keep on giving', since it, like the RID kill, can only be used on an outed player once, but if many players out themselves too specifically, then it becomes overpowered, and I decided that is what I wanted.  If the innocents tried to corner the mafia through blatant outing, I liked the fact that it would back-fire on them.

I do want to mention that vommack did a great job at the beginning at getting out info (about Savage/Aaryan) without specifically outing himself.  As Araver mentioned in the ghost thread, since the mafia originally believed him to be Nightwing, if they had tried to lynch swap him, they would have failed and lost one of their own.  

Which brings me to my second intent:

2)  Okay, admittedly this may be a personal bias, but I really like sneaky innocents ;P.  In my mafia player 'career', I definitely lied more as an innocent than as a mafia, and those were my favorite times.  One of my favorite playing experiences was Heroes 1.2 (I believe that was the number), in which I was an innocent with BTSC with a saving role, and boy, did I lie my @$$ off... :lol:...and in doing so, I managed to corner and draw the fire of the Company (the mafia), thereby saving some other innocent, and Sylar (the indie), and, let me tell you, was that victory ever sweet :D (despite, or perhaps made even more so by, a snafoo by the host :rolleyes:).

Anyways, the secondary 'goal' with the lynch swap was to allow the innocents to experiment with strategies that involved trying to trick and manipulate the mafia.  I try to make games that I myself would like to play, so I usually add an element or two of potential innocent deceptivity (yes, I know that's not actually a word...but it should be ;P).  Of course, players are free not to use it, but I like the opportunity to be there ^_^.

Anyways, all and all I think the players played a great game, despite most of them being unfamiliar with my game theoretical machinations ;).

Edited by Yoruichi-san, 23 June 2013 - 03:01 AM.

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users