Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Probability of a rope cut exactly in half, in a single slice

Best Answer kingofpain, 09 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

The probability that the cut us exactly in the middle is precisely 0. However, if you impose a tolerance, then you will receive a finite answer.

e.g. Rope is 10m long. The equality is defined as length of left side is equal to right side within 1 mm. This means that cutting anywhere from 4999.5mm to 5000.5mm will be ok. Therefore, the probability will be 1 in 10,000 if the probability of the cut at any point on the rope is equal.

Cheers!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Orochi663

Orochi663

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hi,

I once read over the internet a question like:

You have a knife which is very sharp and a rope of unifoirm length, with a single cut what is the probability that the rope is cut exactly from half.

The who gave the answer 1/3 had the logic that there are only three possibilities of this experiment after the cut.

1. Left peice is bigger

2. right peice is bigger

3. left peice = right peice

so the probability he calculated is 1/3.

When i discussed with some of my friends they were not convinced on this answer, arguing that this type of experiment can have infinite possibilities.

Can someone please help and explain the correct answer if it exist at all.

Regards

#2 kingofpain

kingofpain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:37 PM   Best Answer

The probability that the cut us exactly in the middle is precisely 0. However, if you impose a tolerance, then you will receive a finite answer.

e.g. Rope is 10m long. The equality is defined as length of left side is equal to right side within 1 mm. This means that cutting anywhere from 4999.5mm to 5000.5mm will be ok. Therefore, the probability will be 1 in 10,000 if the probability of the cut at any point on the rope is equal.

Cheers!

#3 Anza Power

Anza Power

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

The who gave the answer 1/3 had the logic that there are only three possibilities of this experiment after the cut.

1. Left peice is bigger

2. right peice is bigger

so the probability he calculated is 1/3.

Ok, so by that logic if I go and fill out the lottery, there are 2 possibilities, either I win or I lose,  so probability of me winning is 1/2...

But yeah as kingofpain said, the probability is 0, you can think of it like this: the rope is 1 meter long and you pick a number between 0 and 1 and slice there, now, how many numbers are there between 0 and 1?

(even if you think of the rope in a 3D space and give it a diameter the answer doesn't change)

#4 dark_magician_92

dark_magician_92

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

i agree to the anza and kop. Tha answer can't be 1/3 because the concept is that if you divide the case in 3 possibilities and all cases have equal possibilities, only then one of the case has the prob = r/y. Hence in this case prob. Of cutting in middle is not as same as cutting less than or more than half, so 1/3 doesnt work.

#5 witzar

witzar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

there are only three possibilities of this experiment after the cut.

1. Left peice is bigger
2. right peice is bigger

so the probability he calculated is 1/3

It would be true, if all three possibilities were equally probable.

Which is not the case.

#6 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

It's the probability of picking the number 0.500... from all the real numbers in [0, 1].
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#7 Orochi663

Orochi663

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thanks guys...Analogoy by Bonanva really helped understanding the answer of king of pain.

Best Regards to All.

#8 Orochi663

Orochi663

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

Any moderator reading this, please help me out, i am trying to Mark Solved multiple answers but now i cannot mark any of the answers as solved.

#9 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Try again. It seems to work now. Or tell me the post number and I'll do it.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users