Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rolling a coin

Best Answer bonanova, 27 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

No need to spoiler.

If it has made a complete revolution, (and it has) it's facing the same "way" after as before.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1658 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

We have two identical coins. And we roll the one on the left halfway around the other coin, so it rotates without slipping against the other coin, so that it ends up on the right of the other coin. It has rolled over a length of only half its circumference, and yet it has made one complete rotation. Which way is the head of the coin facing?

#2 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:20 PM   Best Answer

No need to spoiler.

If it has made a complete revolution, (and it has) it's facing the same "way" after as before.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#3 superprismatic

superprismatic

Not just Prismatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

No need to spoiler.

I think you have to determine what the coins are to determine which way the head is facing.  If the rotating coin were a US cent, then the head faces to the viewer's right.  Nearly all other US coins (except for very recent mintings) have heads that face to the viewer's left.  I suppose that you have to use the circumferences of the coins to find out which pair would satisfy the other conditions of the OP.

#4 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

No need to spoiler.

I think you have to determine what the coins are to determine which way the head is facing.  If the rotating coin were a US cent, then the head faces to the viewer's right.  Nearly all other US coins (except for very recent mintings) have heads that face to the viewer's left.  I suppose that you have to use the circumferences of the coins to find out which pair would satisfy the other conditions of the OP.

I guess that's what was meant. I just pointed out that after a complete revolution the facing "way" is unchanged.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#5 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1658 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

image.png

oops  :duh:  I accidentally included the answer in my question  ^_^ .  Often when people think of this problem without actually trying it they believe that the coin only rotates halfway or 3/4's of the way and don't realize that the coin makes a complete rotation.  My mistake guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users