Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Best Performer

Best Answer bushindo, 15 May 2013 - 12:52 AM

Anna (A), BIll (B), Cindy ©, and Dante (D) work on a project.

Together, A, B, and C can complete it in 10 days.

Together, B, C, and D can complete it in 11 days.

Together, C, D, and A can complete it in 12 days.

Together, D, A, and B can complete it in 13 days.

Who is the best performer?  Prove your answer.

Spoiler for
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

#2 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:52 AM   Best Answer

Spoiler for

#3 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

Spoiler for

How many days does each person contribute to the total project days?

#4 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Spoiler for

Individuals don't contribute to the project's time.

A can do a project, alone, in a days, but a does not increase the time of a project.

Rather, 1/a contributes to the reciprocal of the project's time.

1/a +1/b+1/c = 1/10, etc.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#5 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

Spoiler for

Individuals don't contribute to the project's time.
A can do a project, alone, in a days, but a does not increase the time of a project.
Rather, 1/a contributes to the reciprocal of the project's time.

1/a +1/b+1/c = 1/10, etc.

Allow me to rephrase cause I disagree: Including someone on a project and excluding someone else directly affects the amount of days a project takes. So in terms of making a three man team we can determine the day load attributed to each person (as well as rank them by productivity). In terms of proportional pay for effectiveness this is very important as we in manufacturing projects pay individuals incentives based on their individual contribution to group projects.

#6 ShadowAngel7

ShadowAngel7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:35 AM

Spoiler for

Allow me to rephrase cause I disagree: Including someone on a project and excluding someone else directly affects the amount of days a project takes. So in terms of making a three man team we can determine the day load attributed to each person (as well as rank them by productivity). In terms of proportional pay for effectiveness this is very important as we in manufacturing projects pay individuals incentives based on their individual contribution to group projects.

So, by your later question, are you asking for how long each individual would take to complete the project working on his/her own? [edit from here] This would then, of course, make that proportional payment easier, using [actual time]/[individual time] to determine the proportion of total payment each individual should receive.

Edited by ShadowAngel7, 17 May 2013 - 02:42 AM.

#7 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

Spoiler for

So, by your later question, are you asking for how long each individual would take to complete the project working on his/her own? [edit from here] This would then, of course, make that proportional payment easier, using [actual time]/[individual time] to determine the proportion of total payment each individual should receive.

essentially, i am asking how much of the duration is caused by each individual on the three man team if we assume that a person is just as productive no matter who they work with

#8 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:59 AM

Spoiler for

essentially, i am asking how much of the duration is caused by each individual on the three man team if we assume that a person is just as productive no matter who they work with

Let a, b, c, and d stand for the fraction of a project that A, B, C, and D can do within each day, respectively.
Spoiler for

#9 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

Spoiler for

Let a, b, c, and d stand for the fraction of a project that A, B, C, and D can do within each day, respectively.
Spoiler for

I like your answer.  It is interesting how in America this problem is solved differently from my home country.

#10 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:29 AM

Spoiler for

I like your answer.  It is interesting how in America this problem is solved differently from my home country.

I'm intrigued. How do people from your country solve this problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users