Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lausus

Lausus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:14 PM

I heard this one a decade ago, but I haven't been able to find it in a search or anywhere else on the site yet:

Consider a pink one-story house with a pink roof. The walls are pink and the floor is pink. The chairs are pink and the tables are pink. In fact all the furniture is pink and even the ceiling is pink. But I ask you, what color are the stairs?

#2 TOPHAT

TOPHAT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:19 PM

Spoiler for My Solution

#3 Lausus

Lausus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

Spoiler for My Solution

Spoiler for You got it!

#4 abhisk

abhisk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

Spoiler for No duh<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />

#5 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:27 PM

I heard this one a decade ago, but I haven't been able to find it in a search or anywhere else on the site yet:

Consider a pink one-story house with a pink roof. The walls are pink and the floor is pink. The chairs are pink and the tables are pink. In fact all the furniture is pink and even the ceiling is pink. But I ask you, what color are the stairs?

We can't know the color of the stairs. Just because it is a one-story house does not mean that there aren't stairs somewhere. It just means that there are not stairs that connect two or more (non-existent) stories of that particular house. In fact, given the entire question we should assume that there are stairs somewhere in the house because the question implies their existence.

Edited by itachi-san, 27 March 2008 - 11:33 PM.

#6 Lausus

Lausus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:52 PM

We can't know the color of the stairs. Just because it is a one-story house does not mean that there aren't stairs somewhere. It just means that there are not stairs that connect two or more (non-existent) stories of that particular house. In fact, given the entire question we should assume that there are stairs somewhere in the house because the question implies their existence.

As I asked in my spoiler before, what about the basement? Also, there could be stairs leading up to the front door or off of a deck or porch, or elsewhere in the house. I think the way I originally heard the question was "everything in the house is pink" meaning any stairs, would in fact be pink. But I didn't say that, so the stairs are brown. Lots of muddy feet have been up and down them. Duh. :D

#7 ManishGupta

ManishGupta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:33 AM

It is one Storey house, so there will be no stairs in the house.

#8 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

As I asked in my spoiler before, what about the basement? Also, there could be stairs leading up to the front door or off of a deck or porch, or elsewhere in the house. I think the way I originally heard the question was "everything in the house is pink" meaning any stairs, would in fact be pink. But I didn't say that, so the stairs are brown. Lots of muddy feet have been up and down them. Duh. :D

A pink house wld be a girls house, they do tend to be clean. Your dirty stairs are flawed???
Or to put it another way, what's red and white or pink all over?

#9 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

The house is one-storied,there are no stairs.

#10 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

The house is one-storied,there are no stairs.

What if they had a couple of steps leading up to a podium or a mantle piece or whatever? Just because it's 1 story doesn't imply there are no stairs. The OP hinted about this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users