Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Division of a Will

Best Answer bushindo, 09 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Brilliant! We will add your extra restraint. Find a way to best maximize your minimum score while keeping the perceived share as balanced as possible.

If we want to maximize the minimum perceived percentage plus making sure that no one thinks someone else is receiving more money, then here's an approximate strategy

Spoiler for
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

What is the best means to dividing these items up? Let's define Best as the approach that gives the greatest benefit to the recipients. The submissions will be judged by examining the highest percentage over the expected individual's share of the individual who made the least over their expectation.

Can you elaborate on the bolded part? I'm not sure that I can parse that correctly.

There are many ways to determine a 'best' answer in this question.  Both you and Pickett found effective answer and there are in fact more  answers that would work in providing everyone at least 25% of the fair share of the goods and money.  I am now seeking the answer that provides everyone the most profit.  I do not want the average percentage of perceived benefit from the will, I want to award the 'best' solution to the one who can give the most to the person who received the least.

For example: (I am making these percentages up by the way)

Remember each person expects to receive 1/4 of the value of the old man's wealth

strategy 1's allocation strategy gave the following outcomes

person 1=27%

person 2=36%

person 3=40%

person 4=30%

strategy 2's allocation strategy gave the following outcomes

person 1= 30%

person 2= 29%

person 3= 28%

person 4= 29%

though the average gain in strategy 1 is 33.25% which is higher than strategy 2, person 1 only made 2% more than expected so this strategy is not preferred when compared to strategy 2 since its lowest recipient got 28% of the perceived wealth or 3% more than expected.  So in these hypothetical cases, solution number 2 is perceived as better since the minimum beneficiary is better than the other cases minimum beneficiary.

**and of course these percentages are perceived percentages of value they placed on the old man's wealth.

Edited by BMAD, 08 May 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#12 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

What is the best means to dividing these items up? Let's define Best as the approach that gives the greatest benefit to the recipients. The submissions will be judged by examining the highest percentage over the expected individual's share of the individual who made the least over their expectation.

Can you elaborate on the bolded part? I'm not sure that I can parse that correctly.

There are many ways to determine a 'best' answer in this question.  Both you and Pickett found effective answer and there are in fact more  answers that would work in providing everyone at least 25% of the fair share of the goods and money.  I am now seeking the answer that provides everyone the most profit.  I do not want the average percentage of perceived benefit from the will, I want to award the 'best' solution to the one who can give the most to the person who received the least.

Remember each person expects to receive 1/4 of the value of the old man's wealth

person 1=27%

person 2=36%

person 3=40%

person 4=30%

person 1= 30%

person 2= 29%

person 3= 28%

person 4= 29%

though the average gain in strategy 1 is 33.25% which is higher than strategy 2, person 1 only made 2% more than expected so this strategy is not preferred when compared to strategy 2 since its lowest recipient got 28% of the perceived wealth or 3% more than expected.  So in these hypothetical cases, solution number 2 is perceived as better since the minimum beneficiary is better than the other cases minimum beneficiary.

**and of course these percentages are perceived percentages of value they placed on the old man's wealth.

If you are trying to maximize the minimum perceived percentage of the value, then you can divide the property in the following manner

Spoiler for

#13 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

Brilliant! We will add your extra restraint. Find a way to best maximize your minimum score while keeping the perceived share as balanced as possible.

person 1=27%
person 2=36%
person 3=40%
person 4=30%

person 1= 30%
person 2= 29%
person 3= 28%
person 4= 29%

If you are trying to maximize the minimum perceived percentage of the value, then you can divide the property in the following manner
Spoiler for

#14 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:18 PM   Best Answer

If we want to maximize the minimum perceived percentage plus making sure that no one thinks someone else is receiving more money, then here's an approximate strategy

Spoiler for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users