BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

There is a barrel with no lid and some wine in it. "This barrel of wine is more than half full," said Curly. "No it's not," says Mo. "It's less than half full."

Without any measuring implements and without removing any wine from the barrel, how can they easily determine who is correct?

12 answers to this question

There is a barrel with no lid and some wine in it. "This barrel of wine is more than half full," said Curly. "No it's not," says Mo. "It's less than half full."

Without any measuring implements and without removing any wine from the barrel, how can they easily determine who is correct?

Maybe the calibrations are given.. ;)

They should tilt it. If the wine can reach the top at an angle less than 45 degrees (half way) then the barrel was more than half full, if it takes more than 45 degrees then it was less than half full.

They should tilt it. If the wine can reach the top at an angle less than 45 degrees (half way) then the barrel was more than half full, if it takes more than 45 degrees then it was less than half full.

Hm... couple things with that. If the barrel was "square," that is, exactly as wide as it is tall, then that might work. But then it would be difficult to tell exactly where 45ยบ is without a measuring tool.

They could possibly look inside the barrel and see if the barrel is getting narrower toward the top from the top of the wine. If so, then the barrel is more than half full. If the barrel is still getting wider (toward its widest point in the middle), then it's less than half full.

This, of course, assumes that the barrel's widest point is in the middle.

if it was a normal barrel, starts thin and gets wider then thins out at the top then i think my way would work which is basically the same as grey cells but a bit easier to understand maybe?

tilt the barrel until the wine is touching the top rim, if it is covering the whole of the base then it would be over half full, if part of the base is showing then it is less than half full

if it was a normal barrel, starts thin and gets wider then thins out at the top then i think my way would work which is basically the same as grey cells but a bit easier to understand maybe?

tilt the barrel until the wine is touching the top rim, if it is covering the whole of the base then it would be over half full, if part of the base is showing then it is less than half full

I like this answer as it doesn't matter what dimensions the barrel has.

Spot on andreay, the method works even if the base of the barrel tapers to a point

Re tilt

Spot on andreay, the method works even if the base of the barrel tapers to a point

If you mean like a ships decanter - i think not! or a yard of ale but that's a different subject!

One way is to drink it - and see if you get half stonked on it!

Sorry I can't do drawings like you, well i can't post them, I can do them. Math too I find unstimulating for some reason, but credit to the guys ad there clever formulas

Seems like it's not concluded yet!