Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Photograph

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

Photograph - Back to the Logic Puzzles
I am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of the man in the photo is the son of my father?

Or as the classic riddle goes:
Brothers and sisters, I have none
but this man's father is my father's son.

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 ilike806

ilike806

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:32 AM

could the solution also be that he is looking at himself?

#3 nevilledevil

nevilledevil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:43 AM

Admin...your solution is incorrect. The man is looking at himself. The man in the photo is his father's son, with no brothers or sisters, the only son the man would have, is the one looking at the picture!

#4 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

Admin...your solution is incorrect. The man is looking at himself. The man in the photo is his father's son, with no brothers or sisters, the only son the man would have, is the one looking at the picture!

Check this:
"Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is the son of my father?"
that means
"Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is me?"
that means
"I am the father of that man on the photo"
that means
"There is my son on the photo"

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#5 pranavojha

pranavojha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

I have to agree with admin

#6 infomaniac.nick

infomaniac.nick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

Admin is definately right.

It's a spin on an old puzzle which is probably what caught people out!

#7 dak1530

dak1530

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:59 AM

admin is definitely right

#8 aurae13

aurae13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:49 PM

The answer is the man's son....
I am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is the son of my father?

Everyone who said that admin is wrong is reading over the part where is says "the father of that man in the picture..." "Is the son of my father." You cannot be your own father, hence it is the son of the man who has no brothers or sisters.

Another way to explain... You are the only child to your father, so if the father to the person in the picture is the son of your father, then the person in the picture must be your child.

Hope that makes sense!

#9 banebrain

banebrain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:18 AM

The answer is the man's son....
I am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at, if I don't have any brothers or sisters and the father of that man on the photo is the son of my father?

Everyone who said that admin is wrong is reading over the part where is says "the father of that man in the picture..." "Is the son of my father." You cannot be your own father, hence it is the son of the man who has no brothers or sisters.

Another way to explain... You are the only child to your father, so if the father to the person in the picture is the son of your father, then the person in the picture must be your child.

Hope that makes sense!

You know at first I agreed with admin but no one accept for aurae went far enough into it. The solution indeed points out to himself, but not to the person in the pictue. The father of the person in the picture is the son of my father. Go backwards; I am the son of my father, hence being the father of the person in the picture, my son. The part that is getting you is the first part "The father of that man on the photo" because the question never says anything about the person in the picture other than that he has a father. You guys are only answering who the father of the person in the photo is, which is not what the question is asking. Make sense?

#10 normdeplume

normdeplume

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

I think Banebrain mis-read the question. It specifically says ' am looking at somebody's photo. Who is it I am looking at'.

The easiest way is work in reverse. With no brothers or sisters the ' Son of My Father' has to be Himself. but he himself is the father of the man in the picture. so the man in the picture has to be his own son.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users