Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Four darts

Best Answer Rob_Gandy, 21 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

Spoiler for My thoughts
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5630 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

This puzzle was discussed at length a few years ago in this forum.

It was rich enough that I thought it deserved another airing, with a largely
different set of puzzle solvers. I can't find it using search, to know for sure,
but I'm wondering whether Prime was one of the solvers last time.

For those to whom this is a new puzzle, I hope you will enjoy it.
It's simple to state, and challenging to solve.

I'm pretty poor at darts, but I managed to put three of them on the board.
Assuming my fourth dart also hits the board [circular], then

• what is the probability it will lie inside the triangle formed by the first three?
  • what is the probability the four darts will not form a convex quadrilateral?

Spoiler for clarification

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#2 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

I recall vaguely, trying to solve that problem. I seem to recall we did not come to a consensus back then. It seems like a serious math problem. And we were trying to solve only the question 2 there.

Past prime, actually.

#3 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

Since question 1 was not a part of that problem posted in 2008, let me provide a solution to that one real quick.

Spoiler for probability of 4th dart inside

Now, that question 1 is solved, I am inclined to yield the opportunity of solving question 2 to others.

Edited by Prime, 21 March 2013 - 02:23 AM.

Past prime, actually.

#4 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Since question 1 was not a part of that problem posted in 2008, let me provide a solution to that one real quick.

Now, that question 1 is solved, I am inclined to yield the opportunity of solving question 2 to others.

I think the proof is fine as it is, but I believe there are a few typos. See below

Spoiler for

Question for bonanova: about question 1- the probability that the 4th point falls within the triangle,

Spoiler for

#5 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

I think the proof is fine as it is, but I believe there are a few typos. See below

Spoiler for

Question for bonanova: about question 1- the probability that the 4th point falls within the triangle,

Spoiler for

Yes, I muddled my explanation. Of course, I meant not forming convex quad, or forming concave quad. But I did mean the point inside a triangle. Perhaps, I should have mentioned re-drawing the lines connecting the points.

At any rate, my post solves the relation between question 1 and question 2.

The straightforward approach with sixtuple integral seems too complex and more a numeric than analytical solution. As far as I remember, Bonanova had done numeric solution back when, by runnig computer simulations.

Past prime, actually.

#6 Rob_Gandy

Rob_Gandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:25 PM   Best Answer

Spoiler for My thoughts

#7 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Spoiler for My thoughts

If we know the average area of a randomly drawn triangle inside a unit circle, then the problem is solved. How do you find the average area of triangle? Where does 35/48Pi come from?

Past prime, actually.

#8 Rob_Gandy

Rob_Gandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Spoiler for My thoughts

If we know the average area of a randomly drawn triangle inside a unit circle, then the problem is solved. How do you find the average area of triangle? Where does 35/48Pi come from?

http://mathworld.wol...glePicking.html

#9 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

The history of this problem as I recall it.

I suggested first solving the average distance between two points inside the unit circle. Then solving the average distance from a point to a segment inside the unit circle. Thus finding the average area of triangle and ultimately solving the problem.

I don't recall that anyone coming up with a solid analytical solution. Bonanova ran computer simulations providing the numeric answer and came up with analysis, which I did not quite follow at the time.

There was some confusion about the 4th point inside the triangle formed by the first 3 points, versus concave quadrilateral. I belive I resolved that question this time around in the post #3 with corrections by Bushindo in post #4.

Past prime, actually.

#10 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Spoiler for My thoughts

http://mathworld.wol...glePicking.html

But that's not solving the puzzle, that's finding an answer on the internet. I don't understand 5-tuple integrals and would have to study to verify that solution.

It is educational. However, to discover something of our own, I'd look for a simpler more understandable solution.

Past prime, actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users