Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dawgsrule93

dawgsrule93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

Two boys are bored, so they decide to play a coin game. They will alternate turns flipping a coin. The first one to land it on heads has to pay the other $5 dollars. The 2nd boy, being a gentleman, gives the 1st boy a decision, to go first or second. Which has the better chance, going 1st or 2nd, of landing heads first and how?

#2 beccaf22

beccaf22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:30 PM

It is irrelevant who goes first or even how many times they each go. Every time you flip a coin there is a 50/50 chance and each coin flip is independent of any other flips.

#3 andreay

andreay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

i agree with beccaf22 there is a 0.5 probability chance every flip althought mathematically if you flip first then 2 x 0.5 = 1 so theoretically the person that flips first should win

#4 dawgsrule93

dawgsrule93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

Nope, beccaf22 is wrong; andreay, you're answer is right, but your reasoning is off.

There's some advanced math in this, so bear with me.

The one that goes first has a better chance of winning.

The probability of winning is the sum of the probabilities of each turn.

1st turn: 1/2
2nd turn (in this case, the 3rd overall flip): 1/23
3rd turn (in this case, the 5th overall flip): 1/25

So adding those: 1/2+1/23+1/25 and so on.

It's an infinite series that approaches 2/3 in value.

Therefore, the player who tosses first has almost 2x a better chance of winning.

Still surprised, try it for yourself.

Edited by dawgsrule93, 26 March 2008 - 08:22 PM.

#5 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:35 PM

Yes....you got the numbers and answer right dawgsrule93.....but notice that the person for who the coin lands heads _pays_ the other $5.
(and for future reference....use spoiler blocks so others can look at posts for clarification and not have the answer right in front of them.)

Going first is the better chance of getting the coin to land head first.... but going second is the way to win the money.

#6 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

You don't even have to make it that complicated. The question asks who is most likely to land heads first. The first boy is the answer because he goes first. He has a 1/2 probable chance before the second boy even gets a shot.

#7 dawgsrule93

dawgsrule93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

You're right, i meant to say, the one who gets heads first wins $5. OK, yeah, i shouldn't have done that, my bad.

Edited by dawgsrule93, 26 March 2008 - 08:57 PM.

#8 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

You're right, i meant to say, the one who gets heads first wins $5. How do you do spoiler blocks? i am new to BrainDen. I joined yesterday.

When you post look at the left Quick Access boxes and the buttons above the typing area. Frame you're responses with Spoiler, Quotes, etc... Toggle the side panel if yours is hidden.

#9 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

Spoiler for ...

#10 Seventh Sage

Seventh Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

Two boys are bored, so they decide to play a coin game. They will alternate turns flipping a coin. The first one to land it on heads has to pay the other $5 dollars. The 2nd boy, being a gentleman, gives the 1st boy a decision, to go first or second. Which has the better chance, going 1st or 2nd, of landing heads first and how?

Spoiler for And my answer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users