Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

ash013:

Here's some more clarification on the naming of Earth: "The name Earth originated from the 8th century Anglo-Saxon word erda, which means ground or soil. In Old English the word became eorthe, then erthe in Middle English.[106] Earth was first used as the name of the planet around 1400.[107] It is the only planet whose name in English is not derived from greco-roman mythology."

http://wiki.answers....Who_named_earth

The Earth was named way before we realized it was one of the planets. Therefore, there was no attempt to name it in a similar fashion to the other planets.

Edited by itachi-san, 27 March 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#42 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

I'll let the terra-firma bit go (legal term some time ago for dry land may still be)
I think you were right to leave out earth - I would have, especially as it is shared by several greek/roman gods. Also it detracts from obvious figures, peopl see 52 and imediately think 1 year

Great post - i rate it high along with your insight on other topics

#43 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:22 AM

ash013:

Here's some more clarification on the naming of Earth: "The name Earth originated from the 8th century Anglo-Saxon word erda, which means ground or soil. In Old English the word became eorthe, then erthe in Middle English.[106] Earth was first used as the name of the planet around 1400.[107] It is the only planet whose name in English is not derived from greco-roman mythology."

http://wiki.answers....Who_named_earth

The Earth was named way before we realized it was one of the planets. Therefore, there was no attempt to name it in a similar fashion to the other planets.

You wanna check something,check this:
http://el.wikipedia....
I don't know if you know greek,but I can tell you what is written there-AGAIN AS I SAID THE GREEKS CALLED THE PLANET EARTH GAIA(Γη),THERE IS NO PLANET CALLED HADES.PLUTO IS PLUTONAS( Πλούτωνας).YOU'LL THANK ME LATER.Good night.Please,next time when you post a puzzle check better the background.No bad feelings.

#44 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:27 AM

You wanna check something,check this:
http://el.wikipedia....
I don't know if you know greek,but I can tell you what is written there-AGAIN AS I SAID THE GREEKS CALLED THE PLANET EARTH GAIA(Γη),THERE IS NO PLANET CALLED HADES.PLUTO IS PLUTONAS( Πλούτωνας).YOU'LL THANK ME LATER.Good night.Please,next time when you post a puzzle check better the background.No bad feelings.

Wow. Read my posts before spouting off please. The Earth problem you have should be answered at least twice by now so read the posts over carefully. For your recurring Hades problem: to repeat, I used the ORIGINAL SOLAR SYSTEM. If I used the current solar system (which is not entirely agreed upon as far as dwarf planets go), it would have been not only too difficult to solve, but a very messy setup... any other complaints?

#45 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:30 AM

Oh and thanks for the link to the page that is in another language...

#46 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:38 AM

Wow. Read my posts before spouting off please. The Earth problem you have should be answered at least twice by now so read the posts over carefully. For your recurring Hades problem: to repeat, I used the ORIGINAL SOLAR SYSTEM. If I used the current solar system (which is not entirely agreed upon as far as dwarf planets go), it would have been not only too difficult to solve, but a very messy setup... any other complaints?

Doesn't matter.Pluto is dwarf planet now,but this doesn't change the fact,that never was called Hades.Still calls Plutonas(on greek) no matter is a dwarf planet or not.I don't understand what you telling me for the Earth.You started the puzzel by giving the greek names of the planets of the Solar system and what i'm telling you is,that on greek Earth is Gaia.Where is the problem?

Edited by ash013, 28 March 2008 - 01:41 AM.

#47 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:42 AM

sorry Ash013, greek is a problem for me
I think the point was that earth as used in english (the language of the post) was not named after a greek or roman god, Pluto is from Hades according to some/several bits of information. Maybe it could not be included unless written in greek (though itachi-san will have his own reason perhaps).
It made the puzzle more interesting, I had spotted that gaia was missing and baffled me for a while untill i realised the link or missing link, then titan (moon) got a mention and should have been a give away, except it may have confused some people regarding family relationships, or shakespears characters - easy to miss if you are looking in the wrong place.
Don't loose sleep - it was a good puzzle!

#48 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:59 AM

sorry Ash013, greek is a problem for me
I think the point was that earth as used in english (the language of the post) was not named after a greek or roman god, Pluto is from Hades according to some/several bits of information. Maybe it could not be included unless written in greek (though itachi-san will have his own reason perhaps).
It made the puzzle more interesting, I had spotted that gaia was missing and baffled me for a while untill i realised the link or missing link, then titan (moon) got a mention and should have been a give away, except it may have confused some people regarding family relationships, or shakespears characters - easy to miss if you are looking in the wrong place.
Don't loose sleep - it was a good puzzle!

I agree.Was a good puzzel.Good night .

#49 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:35 AM

Just to beat a dead horse: we have 2 issues: 1) Hades = Pluto? and 2) why no Earth?

1) According to Wikipedia Hades was also called Pluto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hades in Greek. Nothing is said about having to convert names from Roman to Greek (i.e. Uranus is Greek)

2) Earth is simply not the name of a God. It was named before the God naming convention of Planets took place. It is derived from a number of languages including Old English. If it were named after a God (therefore fitting all common naming conventions with the other planets) we would live on Planet Terra or Planet Gaia

#50 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

Just to beat a dead horse: we have 2 issues: 1) Hades = Pluto? and 2) why no Earth?

1) According to Wikipedia Hades was also called Pluto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hades in Greek. Nothing is said about having to convert names from Roman to Greek (i.e. Uranus is Greek)

2) Earth is simply not the name of a God. It was named before the God naming convention of Planets took place. It is derived from a number of languages including Old English. If it were named after a God (therefore fitting all common naming conventions with the other planets) we would live on Planet Terra or Planet Gaia

Obviously we are not going anywhere like that.Before to close this conversation I want to tell you two thinks:
1.Yes,we live on planet Gaia.At least that's what believe approximately 13million people.
2.Very good puzzle,smart one.I really liked it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users