Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dawgsrule93

dawgsrule93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

Who killed 1/4 of mankind?!?!?

#2 losenotloose

losenotloose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

Spoiler for Spoilage

#3 dawgsrule93

dawgsrule93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

Yes, who were the 3/4 left?

#4 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

Yes, who were the 3/4 left?

Spoiler for 3/4 must be then ...

#5 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

Spoiler for answers

#6 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Spoiler for .

#7 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

Spoiler for .

I see what you mean, but the riddle asks for the one who killed 1/4, not more or less than 1/4.

#8 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

But killing more than 1/4 is also killing 1/4. Look at the other puzzle where it says a woman has 7 children, and half of them are boys. How is this possible? Because the other half is also boys. If i kill two people, is it incorrect for me to say "I've killed a man" No, because it is true. If you kill everyone except Noah's family, that is killing 1/4 of the population (and more).

If the OP had said "who killed exactly 1/4 of the population?" that would be a different story

#9 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:09 PM

But killing more than 1/4 is also killing 1/4. Look at the other puzzle where it says a woman has 7 children, and half of them are boys. How is this possible? Because the other half is also boys. If i kill two people, is it incorrect for me to say "I've killed a man" No, because it is true. If you kill everyone except Noah's family, that is killing 1/4 of the population (and more).

If the OP had said "who killed exactly 1/4 of the population?" that would be a different story

Killing more than 1/4 is not the same as killing 1/4. If I have 20 enemies and I kill 1/4, then I kill 5. If I kill 7, which is greater than 1/4 of 20, it is not the same.

#10 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

Killing more than 1/4 is not the same as killing 1/4. If I have 20 enemies and I kill 1/4, then I kill 5. If I kill 7, which is greater than 1/4 of 20, it is not the same.

They are not the same, but it is not inaccurate to say you killed 1/4 of the enemy. like my example before, if I then asked you if you've killed a man, you would say yes. You're not lying, you have killed more than a man, but in English it is also true that you have killed a man, 1/10, 1/4 etc. of the enemy.

You would say "yes I've killed a man." not "No I haven't killed a man." Just because you've killed more than 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users