Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Dog freedom?

Best Answer bonanova, 25 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Trying to resolve this puzzle assuming a rectangular house.

There are four places the dog can be tethered, between which the area changes monotonically.

Therefore, their respective areas contain the extremal area values.

Spoiler for Here they are

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

If the solution has not already been posted, the only other assumption I can imagine making is that the tether is linked to a railing that allows it to slide along the perimeter of the house. The the accessible portion of the yard in that case is four rectangles and a complete circle. I won't bother to draw it, but the area is clearly 80p + pi802 where p is the perimeter of the house.

I won't spoiler this, because don't see how the OP could be construed to describe that condition.

I don't see what else to try. If we're still missing something, a clue would be nice.  ^_^ 

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#22 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Spoiler for There is another possibility.

Past prime, actually.

#23 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Your earlier solution only resolved if the house was indeed a rectangle.  As shown in prior posting, giving two dimensions does not necessitate a rectangle.  If the house was a different shape (still quadrilateral) what would happen to the max and min possible reach of the dog (tethered at a single point) as we try greater and lesser angles?

If the solution has not already been posted, the only other assumption I can imagine making is that the tether is linked to a railing that allows it to slide along the perimeter of the house. The the accessible portion of the yard in that case is four rectangles and a complete circle. I won't bother to draw it, but the area is clearly 80p + pi802 where p is the perimeter of the house.

I won't spoiler this, because don't see how the OP could be construed to describe that condition.

I don't see what else to try. If we're still missing something, a clue would be nice.  ^_^ 

Sorry Prime, I'm not that creative.

Spoiler for There is another possibility.

#24 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

The house must be a regular rectangle, per OP.

For those who's never seen Baba Yaga's hut, copy and paste this: домик бабы-яги картинки (or you could go with "Baba Yaga's hut") into Google's image search.

With such house construction, the dog's freedom is limited by the length of the leash until the time Baba Yaga gets hungry...

Past prime, actually.

#25 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

I'll retire the topic.

#26 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:58 AM

If we let the house assume a parallelogram shape, then the above numbers change.

If the tie point is closest to an angle that becomes acute, the accessible area increases.

If the closest corner becomes obtuse, the accessible area decreases.

The extreme case is that the house collapses into a 100 foot wall.

The accessible area depends on the distance x the dog is tethered from the end of the wall

If x = 0 (end) the maximum accessible area is the 80-foot radius circle: 6400 pi square feet.

If x = 50 (midpoint) the accessible area hits a minimum: 4100 pi square feet.

dog 100.gif

The previously found areas occur at intermediate values of x:

x. . . Area/pi

--------------

0 .....6400

15.2 ..5300

20 ... 5000

27.6 ..4600

30 . ..4500

50 ..  4100

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#27 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

Can you explain how you found it to be 4100?  I found it to be 3425

Edited by BMAD, 25 April 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#28 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

Chain the dog in the middle of a 100-foot wall.

In the front yard he has an 80-foot-radius semicircle of access.

When he gets to the ends of the wall, he has 30 feet of chain left.

As he walks into the back yard he gains access to a 30-foot-radius semicircle on each side.

Area [three semicircles] = pi/2 [802 + 302 + 302] = pi/2 [6400 + 900 + 900] = pi [3200 + 900] = 4100 pi ft2

General area formula (x is distance from end of wall to the chain point):

0<x<20:.. A = pi/2 [802 + (80-x)2]

20<x<50: .A = pi/2 [802 + (80-x)2 + (x-20)2]

- Bertrand Russell

#29 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

I see what I did wrong. I have it being quarter circles at the end of radius 30.

Chain the dog in the middle of a 100-foot wall.
In the front yard he has an 80-foot-radius semicircle of access.
When he gets to the ends of the wall, he has 30 feet of chain left.
As he walks into the back yard he gains access to a 30-foot-radius semicircle on each side.

Area [three semicircles] = pi/2 [802 + 302 + 302] = pi/2 [6400 + 900 + 900] = pi [3200 + 900] = 4100 pi ft2

General area formula (x is distance from end of wall to the chain point):

0<x<20:.. A = pi/2 [802 + (80-x)2]
20<x<50: .A = pi/2 [802 + (80-x)2 + (x-20)2]

Edited by BMAD, 25 April 2013 - 01:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users