Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Numbered Foreheads Concluded

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ThunderCloud

ThunderCloud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

Although I believe the logic to answer the original problem was present, it was distributed among several postings... It did not seem right to mark any single post as the best answer. Therefore, here is the bonus round. :)

If approached correctly, this version is not much harder than the original.

The puzzle:

Three perfect logicians had stickers placed on their foreheads so that none could see their own sticker but each could see one another's. They were told that each sticker has a single positive integer written on it (i.e.1, 2, 3, ...), and that the sum of the integers on all three stickers is either 1002 or 1003. They were then asked, in turn, to identify the number on their own sticker. Upon being asked, each logician would name their number if they were sure that they knew it, give up if they were sure that they would never know it, or otherwise 'pass' (or say "I don't know"). The question was repeated, again in turn, until EACH of the three logicians had either named their number or given up. All three stickers actually had the same number written on them. Who among the three logicians was able to deduce his number, and who among them gave up? (Furthermore, how did each answer?)

#2 ThunderCloud

ThunderCloud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hint:

This is not a tedious problem... not much harder than the original. There is a simple way to solve it; a pattern to be observed. An exhaustive description of how each logician answered in his turn would not be very long... ;)

#3 ThunderCloud

ThunderCloud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

Still unanswered...

Can you find the complete sequence of responses? It is considerably shorter than one might initially think...

#4 harey

harey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

Spoiler for

I know a better and harder version, if I find it, I'll post it. Does it matter if it is in French?

#5 antel0pe

antel0pe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

Could they communicate beforehand so that they can deduce a plan?

#6 Rainman

Rainman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

Spoiler for

Edited by Rainman, 13 November 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#7 ThunderCloud

ThunderCloud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:41 AM

Spoiler for

I know a better and harder version, if I find it, I'll post it. Does it matter if it is in French?

I am not sure I follow your reasoning here -- care to elaborate further?

#8 ThunderCloud

ThunderCloud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

Could they communicate beforehand so that they can deduce a plan?

No. The logicians cannot agree upon a strategy in advance. However, you may assume each of them to be "perfect" in that they will deduce all that they logically can. You may further assume that each logician will assume the others to behave this way as well (i.e., that it is generally known that all three logicians are "perfect").

#9 harey

harey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:43 AM

Spoiler for 2nd try

Edited by harey, 15 November 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#10 ThunderCloud

ThunderCloud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:44 AM

Spoiler for

I think you are on the right track, and very close. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users