Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:18 PM

The inhabitants of Lyra III recognize special years when their age is of the form a=p2q where 'p' and 'q' are different prime numbers. 8 is not a special year, but 12 is.

In the Lyran III inhabitants thread, we have seen when the Lyrans become master and sage. The Lyrans have also another string attached to their special year -- they got married on their special years. The marriage proposal procedure goes as follows, which is only performed among the Lyrans on their special year.

A free girl (single, separated, divorced, widowed ...) proposes to her best preference man who is on his special year. He may accept or reject the proposal based on the following conditions.
  • If he is married, and prefers his current partner to the one proposing, he will reject the proposal and the woman will stay single (free) until her next special year. If the man prefers the proposing woman to his current partner, he will accept the proposal and take the new girl as his wife. His ex need to wait for her next special year to get a chance to propose to someone.
  • If he is single (free), he will take the chance to propose if there is a free girl he likes better than the one proposing. In that case, he will be hooked up with the new girl, and the one proposing will remain free until her next special year. But if he likes her most, he will accept the proposal, and get married.

Now,
( i.) Will the Lyrans get married at least once in their life time or some of them may die without getting a chance to marry someone?
( ii.) Does the marriage proposal procedure favor to men or women, and in which regard?
(iii.) Is the matching stable? Let me demonstrate by example what I mean: David -- Leila and Daniel -- Lea are two couples. If David prefers Lea to his current partner Leila, and Lea prefers David to her current partner Daniel, then we say that the matching is unstable. It would have been better to match David -- Lea and Daniel -- Leila ... at least one happy family.

#2 Seventh Sage

Seventh Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

The inhabitants of Lyra III recognize special years when their age is of the form a=p2q where 'p' and 'q' are different prime numbers. 8 is not a special year, but 12 is.

In the Lyran III inhabitants thread, we have seen when the Lyrans become master and sage. The Lyrans have also another string attached to their special year -- they got married on their special years. The marriage proposal procedure goes as follows, which is only performed among the Lyrans on their special year.

A free girl (single, separated, divorced, widowed ...) proposes to her best preference man who is on his special year. He may accept or reject the proposal based on the following conditions.

• If he is married, and prefers his current partner to the one proposing, he will reject the proposal and the woman will stay single (free) until her next special year. If the man prefers the proposing woman to his current partner, he will accept the proposal and take the new girl as his wife. His ex need to wait for her next special year to get a chance to propose to someone.
  • If he is single (free), he will take the chance to propose if there is a free girl he likes better than the one proposing. In that case, he will be hooked up with the new girl, and the one proposing will remain free until her next special year. But if he likes her most, he will accept the proposal, and get married.

Now,
( i.) Will the Lyrans get married at least once in their life time or some of them may die without getting a chance to marry someone?
( ii.) Does the marriage proposal procedure favor to men or women, and in which regard?
(iii.) Is the matching stable? Let me demonstrate by example what I mean: David -- Leila and Daniel -- Lea are two couples. If David prefers Lea to his current partner Leila, and Lea prefers David to her current partner Daniel, then we say that the matching is unstable. It would have been better to match David -- Lea and Daniel -- Leila ... at least one happy family.

Spoiler for Guess

#3 losenotloose

losenotloose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

Spoiler for FirstAttempt

#4 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

Am I reading this right that single women can only propose on her special year? It also seems to read that a female proposes to her favorite available ("special") Lyrian, not necessarily her overall favorite.

That is true. The man she proposes must be in his special year... so, ya not her overall favorite

#5 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:10 PM

A bunch of questions ...

1. Are there an equal number of males and females?
2. Are there new babies being born, and do the new females start looking for men on their 12th birthday?
3. Can every male on a special year can be ordered in a preference ranking for each a female who is also on her special year, and vice versa? If so, are the rankings random? Would they be the same for every person? In real life it's obviously somewhere in between.
4. What is the order of the proposals? If ranking is consistent for all people, then the outcome will be different if attractive girls ask first than it would be if the selection was random.
5. Assuming a large population, a free man will almost always end up rejecting the proposal and snagging a hotter honey, but can he do so immediately after rejecting his suitor, or does he have to wait until all the ladies have done their proposing? The former seems to be closer to what you suggested, but also seems rather unfair, since the free men who receive proposals will be able to take their new wife without argument, and thus all the babes would be snatched up quickly.

Perhaps I am over-complicating the problem statement but it seems to me that all these factors would have a bearing on the solution. That might not be true, but if I'm going to modify my previous computer simulation, I need to know. :P

#6 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

Just some clarification ....

1. Are there an equal number of males and females?
Yes, the number of male and female Lyrans participating in the marriage proposal is equal.

2. Are there new babies being born, and do the new females start looking for men on their 12th birthday?
Well, ya there will be new faces in year marriage ceremony ... sure babies will be born.

3. Can every male on a special year can be ordered in a preference ranking for each a female who is also on her special year, and vice versa?
yes
If so, are the rankings random?
I would say random. Preference may change in the next special year. Even in the real-life, someone may rate a woman 100% but after spending some time with her the feeling towards her might be below 50% or so.
Would they be the same for every person?
It will change. A Lyran accepts his wife b/c he rate her best (of the free ones) ... but in the next special year, the hot free next-door girl may catch his eyes ...

4. What is the order of the proposals? If ranking is consistent for all people, then the outcome will be different if attractive girls ask first than it would be if the selection was random.
Random came to my mind ... but we may discuss if the order really affects the matching

5. Assuming a large population, a free man will almost always end up rejecting the proposal and snagging a hotter honey, but can he do so immediately after rejecting his suitor, or does he have to wait until all the ladies have done their proposing? The former seems to be closer to what you suggested, but also seems rather unfair, since the free men who receive proposals will be able to take their new wife without argument, and thus all the babes would be snatched up quickly.
Only women propose, and the men accept or reject the proposal. In the case of acceptance, they will end-up being partners. If he rejects the proposal, he will take a free woman he likes best as his wife (not propose) if the man was free. But if he has already a partner, by rejecting the proposal it means he will stay with his current partner.

In conclusion, I would like to see if the proposal is in favor of men or women? If it is, can someone suggest a more fairer marriage proposal approach.

#7 grey cells

grey cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2807 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

[/quote]
Spoiler for Logically

#8 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

Spoiler for my answer

#9 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

Spoiler for my answer

Spoiler for quick clarification

#10 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

In conclusion, I would like to see if the proposal is in favor of men or women? If it is, can someone suggest a more fairer marriage proposal approach.

Well, if every person forms their own random ranking of all members of the opposite gender every time they are available for marriage, then it seems unlikely that any Lyrian would go his/her entire life without marital bliss, because in those 17 billion years of life there are a tremendous number of special years. However, I would still suspect it's possible, and the likelihood would probably correlate to the size of the population.

I'll write the test program in a few days. It's basically a fun little lesson in object-oriented programming.

Do you have a suggested birth rate? How about having one baby born after each 100 years of marriage? And just to avoid shocking anyone, how about saying that they can't get married until after their 18th birthday? :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users