Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Give a monkey enough rope

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 tammie

tammie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Spoiler for ages not whole numbers?
ages not whole numbers?

#12 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Spoiler for ages not whole numbers?
ages not whole numbers?

They can be fractions. 4/3 yrs + 8/3 yrs = 4 years for example.
Let x y z be the present ages of monkey, mother and brother, W be weight of the weight and l/4 be weight of the rope.
Solve for them. Let them be whatever they turn out to be.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#13 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Spoiler for is Russian translation available?

Конечно ...  ^_^ Веревка подбежал шкив, на одном конце была обезьяна, на другом конце вес.Два оставшихся в равновесии.Вес каната было 4 унции / футбол, а в возрасте от обезьяны и мать обезьяны составил четыре года.Вес обезьяна была много фунтов, как мать обезьяны было лет, и весом весом и весом каната вместе были в полтора раза больше, поскольку вес обезьян.

Вес вес превышал вес веревки, как многие фунтов, как обезьяна лет, когда мать обезьяны был вдвое старше брата обезьяны было, когда мать обезьяны был вдвое старше брата обезьяна будет, когда брат обезьяны в три раза стара, как мать обезьяны Когда мама была обезьяна была в три раза стара, как обезьяна в пункте 1.

Мать обезьяны был вдвое старше обезьяна Когда мать обезьяны был наполовину стара, как обезьяна будет Когда обезьяна в три раза стара, как мать обезьяны было, когда мать обезьяны в три раза стара, как обезьяна в пункте 1.

Возраст матери обезьяны превысил возраст брата обезьяны на такую ​​же сумму, как возраст брата обезьяны превысил возраст обезьяны.

Какова была длина веревки?
  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: So the rope has legs and plays footbal?! And monkey's mother is a male?! And age is money?!Was it Google translation? I guess, it'll be awhile before computers can understand and translate natural language.Although it's worth noting that about the only bit translated correctly, is that very thing, which I misunderstood. The translation states, the weight of the rope together with the weight is 1.5 times the weight of the monkey, as the problem statement intended. Whereas I understood it as half weight of the monkey.
I was going to add the caveat that I cannot verify the usefulness of google translate. But yes, I thought all monkeys played football. ;)

Spoiler for Just for fun, here's what Google Translate gives for the Russian:

The cake is a lie.

#14 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:45 AM

I was going to add the caveat that I cannot verify the usefulness of google translate. But yes, I thought all monkeys played football. ;)

Nice. Whereas one of the two Google founders was born in Moscow.

You must know Russian to appreciate and fully enjoy the beauty of the translation.

The first sentence of the translation actually is: The rope [to] pulley had ran up to ... (As if the rope or pulley had legs and actually ran. Hard to say which.)

Working off the OP in English with some aid of Russian translation I get a very large negative weight for the rope.

Past prime, actually.

#15 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Nice. Whereas one of the two Google founders was born in Moscow.

You must know Russian to appreciate and fully enjoy the beauty of the translation.

The first sentence of the translation actually is: The rope [to] pulley had ran up to ... (As if the rope or pulley had legs and actually ran. Hard to say which.)

Working off the OP in English with some aid of Russian translation I get a very large negative weight for the rope.

0 for 2 is not bad. 

It's positive, and not all that long.

The tricky part is ascribing the right time frames to the numbers.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#16 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

I understand, it's more of a language exercise, than math.

Spoiler for I got lost somewhere between future perfect and past tenses

Past prime, actually.

#17 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

I understand, it's more of a language exercise, than math.

Spoiler for I got lost somewhere between future perfect and past tenses

Nice.

Spoiler for You're spot on until paragraph 2

- Bertrand Russell

#18 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

Somehow, I see paragraph 2 differently.

Spoiler for paragraph 2

Past prime, actually.

#19 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

Spoiler for paragraph 2

Spoiler for One approach

- Bertrand Russell

#20 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

Spoiler for paragraph 2

Spoiler for One approach

That's not what paragraph 2 says in the OP.

Past prime, actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users