Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stamps and foreheads

Best Answer Prime, 07 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

I’ll try again.

Spoiler for not that long

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

This is based on bonanova's puzzle Colorful Foreheads

Here's a game that goes as in the following

* There is a host with 14 stamps, 7 red and 7 blue. There are five players- A, B, C, D, and E.
* In the beginning, the host affixes two stamps to each of the 5 players' head. The remaining 4 stamps go into the host's pocket. Each player can see the stamps on the remaining 4 players, but can not see his own stamps nor the four in the host's pocket.
* Starting from A to E (and then looping back to A and so on), the host asks if each player definitively knows his stamps distribution (RR, BB, or RB). If the player does not know, the host goes on to the next player. No guessing is allowed.
* The game goes as follows

1st turn- player A: I do not know
2nd turn- player B: I do not know
3rd turn- player C: I do not know
4th turn- player D: I do not know
5th turn- player E: I do not know
Host- Alright, to help you, I'll now reveal two stamps from my pocket. *At this point, the host pulls out two of the four stamps in his pocket and shows everyone. The game then continues as before*
6th turn- Player A: I do not know.

Question- what is the longest possible number of turns required before a player definitely knows his color?

#2 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Wow! This is a lot of cases, and I'll probably miss some in my exhaustive enumeration. Are you suggesting that we might be able to REASON this out, rather than list many dozens of cases? Thanks for the puzzle, by the way ^_^

#3 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5889 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Spoiler for For starters

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#4 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Spoiler for but there's more knowledge earlier on, I think.

#5 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5889 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

It may be fruitful to assume a distribution and then see how it can be determined.

Spoiler for first question

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#6 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Wow! This is a lot of cases, and I'll probably miss some in my exhaustive enumeration. Are you suggesting that we might be able to REASON this out, rather than list many dozens of cases? Thanks for the puzzle, by the way ^_^

There are many cases on purpose. The reasoning should be straight forward with the proper tools and elimination procedure.

#7 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

It may be fruitful to assume a distribution and then see how it can be determined.

See the part in red. My calculations show that the players would definitely end the game during that phase for the starting case of all RB stamps.

#8 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I don't feel strong enough yet, but the Den is strong...

Spoiler for some useful observations about early learnings

#9 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5889 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

A list of color combinations might be helpful.

They can be solved individually.

Spoiler for There are fourteen

- Bertrand Russell

#10 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

See the part in red. My calculations show that the players would definitely end the game during that phase for the starting case of all RB stamps.

I'm confused, as often. I thought we were facing one particular run of this game, and we are seeking the one case and reveal for which A does NOT announce his stamps at step 6. The phrase "starting case of all RB stamps" makes me think we have to make a general solution for all runs of the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users