Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Yellow,Green,Red,Blue

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#11 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

This is a challenge.
A two-color version requires and permits movement after taking one's position.
So I don't think it provides useful guidance for this case

Spoiler for here it is anyway

Great puzzle.
Eager to see the solution.

Spoiler for solution

I don't see the OP requiring each prisoner to assume his position before the next one enters the room. So why should we be adding such a restriction?

On the other hand, the OP never specified that the place for each row has been marked with like colored chairs, tile, or in any other way. Thus we must not assume that it has.

Given the above, Rainman's method needs just a slight modification.

Spoiler for how about

As for the blindfold, it is kept on until each captive enters the hall to prevent them from seeing the color when it is placed upon their heads and thereafter to hinder them from checking the same in the mirror of the dressing room.

Hasn't Rainman already solved the puzzle? With that small modification I added, so that his solution does not rely on the preset place where to form rows.

Past prime, actually.

#12 TimeSpaceLightForce

TimeSpaceLightForce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:37 AM

Spoiler for 1moretry

hey WG this is a nice puzzle for my friends

#13 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1426 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

Hasn't Rainman already solved the puzzle? With that small modification I added, so that his solution does not rely on the preset place where to form rows.

I think so, now that Wolfgang clarified that people don't have to take their positions before the next person walks in.
Edit: unless he meant to say "where-ever" instead of "when-ever" in response to my question
But that doesn't generally seem to prevent people from answering.
Maybe Wolfgang will come by to mark it as answered.

Edited by plasmid, 15 January 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#14 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5810 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

To me it seems that 'Entering singly and not changing one's position once taken" are conditions with no effect, if "hanging out" is permitted. What relevance to the solution can that guidance have, other than to prohibit that option? Yet that is what adds the difficulty that I see here.

If language issues have made the point debatable, Wolfgang will have to clarify.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#15 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

To me it seems that 'Entering singly and not changing one's position once taken" are conditions with no effect, if "hanging out" is permitted. What relevance to the solution can that guidance have, other than to prohibit that option? Yet that is what adds the difficulty that I see here.

If language issues have made the point debatable, Wolfgang will have to clarify.

I am at loss about the purpose of "Entering singly". "Not changing one's position once taken" seems to be a reasonable, good, and severe limitation upon those criminals, indeed.

Conversely, if OP requires each conman to take his place in the formation before the next inmate enters the hall, then I cannot imagine what method could possibly exist for the condemned men? After all, the rows would start forming without any knowledge of the color on the forehead of the next culprit to enter...

Past prime, actually.

#16 wolfgang

wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Spoiler for 1moretry

hey WG this is a nice puzzle for my friends

According to your method(NEWS),seems as if the first prisoner is giving a hint to the others,which is actually not allowed...see the roles in OP

#17 wolfgang

wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I am at loss about the purpose of "Entering singly". "Not changing one's position once taken" seems to be a reasonable, good, and severe limitation upon those criminals, indeed.

Conversely, if OP requires each conman to take his place in the formation before the next inmate enters the hall, then I cannot imagine what method could possibly exist for the condemned men? After all, the rows would start forming without any knowledge of the color on the forehead of the next culprit to enter...

Yes, each one should choose his place where to belong,once he did, he is not allowed to change his mind.(Except the first two ...see OP)

#18 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5810 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

Wolfgang, I think the point that asks for clarification is this:
Must each prisoner wait, outside the room and blindfolded, until previous prisoners have taken their positions?
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#19 wolfgang

wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Must each prisoner wait, outside the room and blindfolded, until previous prisoners have taken their positions?

Yes...thats right....he should wait until the previous prisoner is standing in his raw and took his position.

#20 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Yes...thats right....he should wait until the previous prisoner is standing in his raw and took his position.

Spoiler for in this case...

Past prime, actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users