Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

It Appears to be Over

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3394 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, I feel like when I came back there was a lot less activity than in my prime.  I miss some of the big players, not just for making puzzles, but for solving them and keeping threads active :(.  I do like the addition of the solved marker, it should help keep old threads from overtaking the first page away from current unsolved puzzles.  It's really disheartening to put a lot of time and effort into making a puzzle just to see it die away...:(

As for suggestions, there's a thought I have had for some time:  I'm not sure why the 'New Puzzles' forum was subdivided into word puzzles and math/logic puzzles in the first place, but I do feel like there are puzzles that do not fit neatly into either category, like the mystery puzzles or the figure out what you're suppose to do here puzzles.  The latter, which I personally am partial to, I feel tend to die out when someone looking in the math forum realizes it's not a standard math puzzle or someone in the word forum realizes it's not a standard word puzzle.  I think the categorizations sometimes lure ppl into a sense of complacency about how to go about solving the puzzle that they can be reluctant to break through.  I'm not sure how to solve this, but I think perhaps a third categorization, like a 'Creative Thinking Puzzles' part might help, and might draw in ppl who like that kind of puzzle but don't realize that some of the puzzles in the Math/Logic and Word Riddles sections are actually that kind of puzzle in disguise.

Anyways, 3:37 AM here, work in the morning.  Just some thoughts. 

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page! Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#22 akaslickster

akaslickster

SLICK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4852 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I must agree with Thalia's comment, however, a positive attitude along with maximum optimism will help more than feeling glum about the slump. Many times I will appear logged on all alone just to show that I can be more than just one of the 50 guests that appear present. It's a pity that thousands of emails were lost in the crash.  We could have urged them to return if we had communication. I should be spending more time here myself, but Mafia is not like it was years ago.  Riddles are not a habit like when I began here.  I expect a lull during these holidays so not a big worry.

I have a couple of ideas:

1. How about we organize cooperatively? Once or twice a week or more in the chat room or a thread to discuss possibilities or specific options in order to bring a crowd. It will be strictly volunteer discussion for maybe 1/2 hour sessions. There can be a group session for morning, for day and one for night  if enough people will help and volunteer. Time zones will allow attendance if we have multiple sessions. I can spare a half hour a week and maybe more. Once we come up with super ideas to share, we can get to work on executing them. This is like troubleshooting but it can't hurt the site.

2. Advertising as much as we can. I was taken in by a riddle that captured me and reeled me in here.  If we can gather the most addictive and exciting pieces of work from here that people will become interested in, We can make an attractive link while assuring them it is a completely free site.  Anyone who can help with slogans and mass advertising on respectable sites like Facebook will be a BIG HELP.  I think there is potential to get busy once again if we just organize, cooperate and keep our hopes up. We really need to WOW people before reeling them in.  No boring old riddles that means.  Take the best of everything we have and capitalize on it for special advertising amazement. If this can all become incorporated nicely and get people hooked, it should be a success.

As always, y'all can comment, agree or disagree but these are just my ideas. Perhaps someone has better ideas. IDK   :D

Seems like this was covered by chat etc. I really think it has a chance but, nvm if it stinks. :(

Anyway, every time I see a Facebook AD for Brainden, in my home page, I click like and share. I urge everyone else to do the same at least.

Edited by akaslickster, 16 January 2013 - 05:58 PM.

Posted ImageThe place where peace begins is within oneself. by Slick

#23 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3394 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Okay some more ideas to increase activity:

Special events, like holiday events, contests and the like.  I have no programming skills but I'd be happy to help with the creative portion ^_^.

More achievements...everyone loves achievements ;P!  No, but 99% seriously, so many addictive games and whatnot have achievements b/c they themselves are somewhat addictive.  Right now there is only the member title 'achievements', but I think there can be some more that can be added without challenging the core of what the place is about.  Especially with the new ability to attribute solutions to a particular person, it shouldn't be too hard to add achievements associated with that:  number of puzzles solved, etc.  And adding achievements for puzzle makers too might be nice ;).

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

#24 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

Maybe an achievement when you solve your first puzzle, you solve ten puzzles, you win a Mafia, you host a mafia... I think that would really work.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#25 akaslickster

akaslickster

SLICK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4852 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Maybe an achievement when you solve your first puzzle, you solve ten puzzles, you win a Mafia, you host a mafia... I think that would really work.

That may be a great idea.

Seems you are eager to play as well. I can provide a link if you pm me if you want.

Posted ImageThe place where peace begins is within oneself. by Slick

#26 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

All great suggestions. So far I have found a good forum hook for awards, however, it does not include all the features you would want - see my comment http://community.inv...ards/?p=2359915

Have you seen any better forum hook/app?

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#27 Panther

Panther

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Hey folks, sorry bout being MIA for a while, just kinda drifted off lol... but I'm back now, and this community is to awesome to be allowed to fade :D

Cheesy, I know, but I don't care :P Just let me know if I can do anything (other than what has already been posted above :P)

Edited by Panther, 28 January 2013 - 02:10 AM.

"It's so cute when it's sleeping, isn't it? Actually, it's still as abhorrent as ever, but at least it's not trying to kill us."
-Noyan Dar, Tazeem lullmage

#28 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3394 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

All great suggestions. So far I have found a good forum hook for awards, however, it does not include all the features you would want - see my comment http://community.inv...ards/?p=2359915

I get the 'access denied' page for that link.  :(

Agree with Flame's suggestions, also, for puzzle makers, you could have achievements based on # of hits, like 100 hits, 1000 hits, and/or number of replies, etc.

#29 marksmanjay

marksmanjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

I get the 'access denied' page for that link.   :(

I do too. I'll promote BrainDen.com and the forums wherever I can. By the way, I just realized that Panther is a fox, at least his picture...

#30 peace*out

peace*out

Adult Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4891 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

Okay some more ideas to increase activity:

Special events, like holiday events, contests and the like.  I have no programming skills but I'd be happy to help with the creative portion ^_^.

More achievements...everyone loves achievements ;P!  No, but 99% seriously, so many addictive games and whatnot have achievements b/c they themselves are somewhat addictive.  Right now there is only the member title 'achievements', but I think there can be some more that can be added without challenging the core of what the place is about.  Especially with the new ability to attribute solutions to a particular person, it shouldn't be too hard to add achievements associated with that:  number of puzzles solved, etc.  And adding achievements for puzzle makers too might be nice ;).

I'm back for the next two minutes at least. My journey on brain den began when I was trying to learn how to think. But I'm eighteen now (I STARTED HERE NOT EVEN A TEENAGER AND NOW IM AN ADULT WHAT?!) and with websites like lumosity and fit brains, people can now exercise their brain without having to rely on other people for answers and questions. Its the idea of having a better brain without having to debate or argue with other people. This site doesn't promise results and the others do. And in a world where everyone wants to get a year and be the best, I don't think people see an intelligent community as enticing as something that promises to make you better, the improved you.

I'm not sure how to present an argument of "we should" or "we shouldn't" do this or that. I think if we look at the sites that promise brain developments, we can see that they divide games into categories. They'll say how this game improved focus and that game improves memory and so on. If people can show that brain den can improve this or that section of the brain, we could attract those who seek to "improve their intelligence."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users