Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Why isn't this a legitimate answer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lilwisegirl

Lilwisegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

I'm sure we all know the paradox about 'If I say 'I am lying', am I telling the truth or lying', so I won't write it out. My question is, why isn't the following a legitimate answer?
You aren't lying. You're just mistaken.
Maybe I'm sounding stupid, but seriously. Just because you state something doesn't mean it's true at all. Paradoxes themselves are evidence of that. And the very spirit of philosophers- i.e., everything anyone has ever said might be wrong accepts that people can just be plain mistaken. I've never heard this logic being followed before, and I'm wondering why. Anyone know?

#2 Rainman

Rainman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

I agree, just because you make a false statement you are not necessarily lying. You could just be mistaken. But whether you are lying or mistaken about a statement, it is still false. So consider the statement "this statement is false". This paradox can't be so easily sidestepped.

#3 Lilwisegirl

Lilwisegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Yeah, the paradox does make a lot more sense when you say 'false' instead of 'lying'. A lot of paradoxes are the same way- in the unmovable object/unstoppable force paradox, it only really works if you say something like 'unbreakable, unmovable object' and 'unstoppable, un-divertible force', or else the object could break and not move, or the force could change direction. Word choice really matters...

#4 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5530 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

Interesting post.

In theology Wesley defined "sin" as "willful transgression of a known law of God."
So, an act could be a sin or not, based on the actor's state of knowledge or intent.

Many logicians attribute the prefix "It is true that ..." or "It is the case that ..." to all declarative statements.
That permits a paradox to become instead a simple contradiction.

In American courts, there is a permissible disclaimer of "upon information and belief" that allows a witness to tell things as s/he knows them without saddling them with proving the truth of their statements.

If we take the liar's paradox as [possibly flawed] informal conversation, we get some added "outs" from the paradox.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users