Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A simple blackjack variant

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

The analytical solution for the probability of win for each hand is as following:

1st hand = .342538484

2nd hand = .318676316

3rd hand = .338785200

A recursive program, which would traverse the entire game for 3 hands, would be simple enough to code. However, I did not chance it fearing unmanageable number of iterations. After all, given the infinite deck, a single hand in this game can be as large as 18 cards.

Instead of writing a program, I built a spreadsheet table with probabilities of win/bust/continue for a single player for each round. From that probabilities of winning a “sudden death game” for each seat among 3 players may be derived. It’s a tedious solution, but I had some similar tables from my own projects with BJ probabilities, so it did not take too much of my time.

I could not see any simple and elegant solution, which would avoid calculating actual probabilities.

Some more trivia from the table if you play this game without partners, by your lonesome:

Probability to bust = .621058

Probability to get 21 = .159379

Probability to get 20 = .219563

Probability to finish the game with a hand of 6 cards or less = .996315

Past prime, actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users