Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A simple blackjack variant

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 TheChad08

TheChad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

Oops, forgot to put my post in spoilers.

Sorry about that.

As for the calculations, I don't know how to write programs to do that for me as there would be thousands of possibilities.

#12 superprismatic

superprismatic

Not just Prismatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Spoiler for I wrote a simulator and

#13 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Would you say the winning seat benefited more from 20/21 or from the other two going bust?

#14 superprismatic

superprismatic

Not just Prismatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Would you say the winning seat benefited more from 20/21 or from the other two going bust?

I don't know, but I can modify my program to count those things. I have an appointment soon.
When I return from that, I'll fix up the program. Perhaps knowing such things may make it easier
to analyse the problem analytically.

#15 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

Spoiler for A good starting point

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#16 superprismatic

superprismatic

Not just Prismatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Spoiler for I did another simulation for the Captain

#17 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Thank you, Superprismatic! (And thank you, Y-san. Such a simple question, with so little intuition available for guessing how it should go, and such a tiny, but repeatable effect. Great fun!)

I'm quite surprised how much more important the ability to hit 20/21 is than the ability to be the survivor. Over 80% of the wins due to 20/21!

And yet, even so, the first position is only very slightly stronger than the other two...
Fascinating!

#18 brifri238

brifri238

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Similar to Superprismatic I too ran a simulation (over only a mere 100,000,000 hands) and got similar results with Hand1 winning and Hand 3 in second.(Hand1: 34.257% / Hand3: 33.854% / Hand2: 31.889%). I also ran the simulation for a 'REAL WORLD' execution using one deck of cards without replacement. (Other assumptions the same, and in addition: if a hand goes over 21 no further cards are dealt to that person during that round-[this assumption is irrelevant when using an infinite number of decks]). In this case Hand 3 is the most likely to win! - (Hand 3: 34.0045 %, Hand 1 in a close second with 33.9777 % and Hand 2 with 32.0178%)

Edited by brifri238, 02 November 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#19 brifri238

brifri238

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

I re-ran both my simulations: scenario 1: with an infinite number of card decks, and the more real world scenario 2: with one deck of cards where cards are dealt without replacement. Both simulations were run over 1000,000,000 hands and the previous results and rankings were confirmed:

Scenario 1: (infinite number of decks): Hand 1 (34.2521%), Hand3 (33.8808%) and Hand 2 (31.8671%)

Scenario 2: (one deck without replacement): Hand 3 (34.0031%), Hand 1(33.9674%) and Hand 2 (32.0294%)

Edited by brifri238, 05 November 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#20 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Wow, that's pretty interesting, thanks brifri ^_^ .

If anyone is still attempting the semi-analytical approach, I find that comparing the winning chances of each chair during a round is a good way to do it.

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users