Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Major Grumblegutts' Challenge

Best Answer curr3nt, 14 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Have the sergeant summoned in to report on the sortie after the exclusion comment? I believe that should work.

Spoiler for re-run
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

Major Grumblegutts stood in his command tent. “I need an exact figure of the number of men this division has available to go against the enemy, not counting those assembled here, of course”, he bellowed.

“Well sir, during the march, as the regular columns passed, I counted that there were five columns more then the number of men in the front line.”, replied one lieutenant.

“Yes, and after they had arrived at camp, I was told that an additional 845 men were added to the front line in order to dig trenches and that four other groups of the same amount were dispatched to other tasks”, said another lieutenant.

“Quite right, and I was in one of those of those groups when I took charge of it, and was given an addition of ten percent from another group to conduct a covert sortie”, offered a sergeant.

“Tell me about this sortie”, commanded Major Grumblegutts, “I understand it did not go well”.

“Well no sir”, the sergeant replied with his eyes downcast. “It did not. I stayed behind in camp to coordinate with the lieutenants. The entire sortie was ambushed and a number of men killed. Of the survivors a sixth managed to make it back to camp. Another eighth of the remaining perished on the enemy’s march back. After arriving at the enemy’s camp another man died of his wounds and a fourth of those remaining attempted to escape the following night, but only two out of three managed to do so and those that didn't were killed as an example. Those that remained were split up into four equal work gangs and sent to separate locations. Two of those gangs were liberated before reaching their destination and have been returned to us, but one in twelve is still not fit for duty”, the sergeant concluded.

Major Grumblegutts furiously scribbled some figures on the back of a discarded slip of paper. “Hhrrumph”, he grunted when finished. “If our intelligence is correct then the enemy has three men to our two, but we have the high ground. This will be a tough fight."

What is the size of the enemy force?

Spoiler for The answer

#2 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

No one wants to accept the challenge of determining the size of the Major's or his enemy's available forces?

#3 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

Spoiler for I'm lost...

#4 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Spoiler for For the first part

#5 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

Oh...so not a military column but using an actual column count with row count. That clears up a bit

#6 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Spoiler for I still can't get this to work...

#7 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

Spoiler for wow...I'm a bit slow this morning...

#8 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

What did I miss now?

Spoiler for This

#9 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members