Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Where did all these dowels come from?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

So... is it possible to get less than 34?

#22 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

So... is it possible to get less than 34?

Yes. pg may be on the road to a more efficient solution with a small modifications to his current design. I'm glad to see he didn't make the common mistake of trying to join the connections (circled) on the bottom and eliminating a number of supports on the top.

Spoiler for Wrong!

#23 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4740 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Spoiler for 33?

#24 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5569 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

OP says "Without bending, breaking or overlapping dowels, only connecting them at the ends ..."
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#25 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

I see that other solutions have had the triangles impinge on the square, without connecting to it.

My question about the 33 solution is that I imagine the top and bottom squares collapsing to the left and right respectively, while still remaining pinched between the crab claws. So I think the squares are not actually firmed up.

#26 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3283 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

I've been trying to avoid thinking about this since I can foresee not getting any work done for the next week...*whistling*

Spoiler for My mafia instincts are kicking in...

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#27 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4740 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

My question about the 33 solution is that I imagine the top and bottom squares collapsing to the left and right respectively, while still remaining pinched between the crab claws. So I think the squares are not actually firmed up.

Yeah, had similar concerns. Finally just went with it assuming the two squares shared a dowel and acted as if hinged as per the op. so if they collapsed, they would need to remain congruent parallelagrams and the claws would not permit. Even if it were to qualify, strongly doubt it's optimal.

#28 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

I don't think the triangles would prevent the squares from moving right or left. The triangles only keep the distance between them from exceeding one unit but collapsed the distance between those two lines would still be one unit. It would stop collapsing when the top line is inline with the triangles point.

#29 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yes, it looks like that 33 solution is unstable. Although not optimal, I will give a hint to a better solution.

Spoiler for Imagine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users