Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Human existence

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

Yeah...I totally disagree with you phaze :P.

Because of your 'neo-nieztchian' views you have less personal investment to lose.

For those that have a faith system this involves talking about deep personal issues in an impersonal public forum.

It is even more heart-wrenching to 'risk' everything you hold dear on a multitude of unknown people that have not earned your trust.  

Each new post like above makes me more and more sure that personal views will not be treated with respect.

If a family photo was presented as a "purpose of my life" I have a suspicion that it would be treated simply like a piece of paper with ink on it.

It would be argued about rather than being accepted for what it is.

This is not a safe place to express views especially valuable ones.

To live and let live. That's my opinion.

Question everything and trust what you see as logical.

If logic was the sum of the human experience we would have been replaced by computers and restricted to resolving the issues of highly illogical beings.  I would rather trust what I see as being intuitive

@Y-San This is why I believe a lengthy "logical" debate picking apart various belief systems would be fruitless.

This why I am reluctant to express my entire world view openly and honestly just so others can pick it apart without respect.

If anyone was really interested in my personal views they would have already have asked privately rather than request that they should be paraded in harsh public light.

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008

#22 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Wow, I'm really sorry you feel that way phaze, I'm sure whatever happened in your past experience that has given you this point of view was terrible and if you want to share it with me personally, feel free to PM me.  I think I have made it pretty clear that while I will eagerly pick apart mathematically fallacies in puzzle threads ;P, I am pretty open-minded and tolerant of those with different opinions on spiritual matters and the like.

But at the same time, I do not share your view.  Perhaps you do not think my 'neo-nieztchian' philosophy implies personal investment, but I assure you, I've invested a great deal in it.  I do not think anyone wants to hear my entire life's story in this one post, but I have sacrificed a great deal of opportunistic opportunities in my professional and social life to stick by what I believe in, and it's still not easy, nearly every day I feel like I'm confronted with such choices.    

My willingness to share comes not from being any less invested in my views as, say, someone of an organized religion, but it comes from my own confidence in my views.  I did the same thing as Descartes did in A Treatise on Human Existence?  (I think the title was something like that...) when I was in like 10th grade...I discarded all my preconceived notions of reality and existence and built up my belief system from scratch.  Of course, I didn't make the same religious jumps that Descartes did, but I did come to the realization that without any 'assumptions', there was not very much to do, so I chose to base my system on assumptions based on what made me feel 'alive', what made life worth living.

As for sharing deep personal issues, I have shared my deepest personal issue in this forum a few years back, in a thread that was like 'Life Stories' or sth (I don't remember the exact title of that either...lol), and I found only support and appreciation from the BrainDenizens back then.  Granted, the crowd has changed somewhat, but I don't think the majority of 'new' crowd is the type that would be hurtful/dismissive.

And to be fair, I did have some 'private' discussions with UR about beliefs, which he turned around and posted as the premise for discussion threads, lol :P.  I was annoyed at first, but then I realized that I was confident enough in myself that I didn't really care.

I'm not sure where it was specified in this thread that we were suppose to have lengthy logical debates, but I personally did not take it that way.  I took it more as a place to share and to learn about others and build more of a sense of community, not less.  *shrugs*

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#23 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1356 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

It is even more heart-wrenching to 'risk' everything you hold dear on a multitude of unknown people that have not earned your trust. 

Quite the contrary, how would it be heart wrenching to know that someone out there out of ~7 billion people disagrees with me? After all, I already know that most of the world disagrees with me and my set of beliefs. All I ever wanted to know was your personal view on this topic. I had hoped that no one would discriminate against others, but, well I guess that was a vain hope that will obviously never prove true. Why can't people just respect others' beliefs? I guess that's another touchy topic, then. I thought that this could just serve as a conduit for a intellectually stimulating conversation, but that idea is so obviously impossible I wonder why I ever thought that could be true. Sorry for the rant, had to get something out.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#24 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5663 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

And now for something completely different.

What part of the evolutionary process involved wearing clothes?

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#25 flamebirde

flamebirde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1356 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

My guess is that it first evolved as an accessory like jewelry to show social class. then, like phones and cars, ordinary people could afford it and bought/wore it to the point that it shows that you are ordinary and if you don't have it then you are less than normal people. I really don't know, just my theory.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#26 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5663 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

More to the point of my wondering is how/when/why did any of these considerations make the scene?

Something of the nature of the beast, so to speak, made a quantum leap, or the process broke.

The fact that it did so is to me the interesting observation.

Corollary question:

Why aren't there say at least two species that wear clothes?

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#27 flamebirde

flamebirde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1356 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Because all/most other warm-blooded creatures have fur, humans only have hair on their heads so we need to keep warm more than the other species.

#28 Brainiac100

Brainiac100

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Well, my dog shivers when she's outside and it's anything less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit :P

Is there a riddle stuck in your brain, and you cannot solve it? Be happy! It is a positive proof that you have a brain. <--Rookie1ja

#29 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

Because all/most other warm-blooded creatures have fur, humans only have hair on their heads so we need to keep warm more than the other species.

<tmi>* Phaze begins to suspect he has lycanthropy*</tmi>

Edited by phaze, 18 February 2013 - 10:20 PM.

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008

#30 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Well why don't any other species have the internet?  :P  Humans do seem to have a higher brain capacity for like, technology (even simple ones like making thread...or fire for that matter!)

The question of clothing is an interesting one, from a social evolutionary perspective.  However it's inextricably intertwined with the evolution of culture/society as a whole which in turn is inextricably intertwined with history, and as much as I find evolutionary sociology/psychological fascinating, I am too lazy to tackle that question atm (although I've considered parts of it).

From a practical perspective, it's much simpler.  There's the whole' maintaining heat so that you can hunt/gather farther/longer' issue as has been brought up.  There's also like the protective qualities of clothing.  And not just, like heavy hides and whatnot.  Even thinner fabrics can protect from cuts and scratches, which, although in themselves not life-threatening, can be infected, especially before the invention of, like, penicillin ;).

And there's the whole terror of women's fashions in particular...the rib and organ malforming corsettes in Europe, those neck elongating rings in Africa, and the practice of bandaging feet to prevent them from growing in Asia...it's almost like society was saying 'the harder it is for you to run away/protect yourself from men, the more attractive you are'...*whistling* 

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users